1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller coaster G-forces

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have constructed a small scale roller coaster for my physics class. I was given the task of finding a track design with a safe and enjoyable ride. For times sake I plan to simply calculate the changes in g-force. I am using a hotwheels car and plastic track. I simply need to know how to go about calculating negative and positive vertical g-force.

2. Relevant equations
    The few I have read about consist of the gravity constant and radius. Realistically radius might not be able to be obtained.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I collected the mass of the car, and its acceleration throughout the track, but anything past data collection has not taken place.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jun 4, 2013 #3
    So convert the acceleration units?

5. Jun 4, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Pretty much - remember the direction.
    If you completely enclosed someone on a roller-coaster, they'd feel gravity change direction and strength.
    That's what g-force is about.
    Did you read the article?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted