1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller coaster physics

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    Im trying to figure when you have a rollercoaster or train, how are the forces different at the top of tracks compared to the bottom of the tracks.

How does this relate to setting up F=MA....and the Normal Force.

I know at the top you would have a feeling of weightlessness and at the bottom you are pushed into your seat greatly.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't relate to any real forces, it relates to the acceleration of the rider. At the top his acceleration is down, at the bottom it's up. The normal force has to balance both gravity and the acceleration of the rider.
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    ok, im setting up a problem that asks for the force exerted on the seat of an 80 kg person. At the top, and at the bottom

So I am using this equ. ( i have r,v, m and g)

N-mg = m (v^2/r)

so what would differ for the top and bottom?
  5. Apr 28, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The direction of the v^2/r. It's directed towards the center of rotation. At the top, it's down. At the bottom, it's up. You have to keep track of the direction of v^2/r by hand.
  6. Apr 28, 2008 #5
    ok thanks....i will give that a try
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?