1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roller Coaster

1. Feb 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A roller coaster has a mass of 510kg when fully loaded with passengers. The radius at point A is 10.0 m and the radius at point B is 15.0 m.

-If the vehicle has a speed of 19.6 m/s at point A, what is the force exerted by the track on the car at this point? (N)

-What is the maximum speed the vehicle can have at B and still remain on the track? (m/s)

2. Relevant equations

EF=m (v^2 / r)

3. The attempt at a solution

*For the first problem I thought you would use the equation EF=m (v^2 / r). Which would be EF=510 (19.6^2 / 10.0). Which equals 510*(384.16/10.0). Equals 19592.16. However, this is wrong! Isn't that the right equation?

*For the second problem, I'm not sure where to start. But I'm assuming that I will need the correct force value before I can begin.

Any suggestion as to where I'm going wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It all depends on the location of points A and B, perhaps if you could post a diagram or describe the position of the two points we could help you further.

4. Feb 14, 2007 #3
    assuming a is on a curve that is convex up, (try it the other way and you'll find its off the track i think), you have two a accelerations to account for, g and the v^2/r which is 19.6^2/10=38.4. Compute the net a, then you have the force pushing on the track.

b must be convex down (or upside down, but then it would be a minimal speed): v^2/15=g as the two accelerations are opposing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?