Design a Roller Coaster: Calculate Track Radius for 3800 N Force

In summary: At the bottom the centripetal acceleration is upwards and Fn is upwards. So putting plus signs on those quantities, we get ma=Fn-mg or Fn=ma+mg. At the top the centripetal acceleration is downwards and Fn needs to be downwards if you are going to stay in the seat. So we put minus signs on ma and Fn. So -ma=-Fn-mg. Or Fn=ma-mg.
runningirl

Homework Statement

You have been hired to design a roller coaster and are working on two sections. The roller coaster rolls on the track, but is not attached.

If the cars will have a speed of 35 m/s at the bottom of the hill, what is the radius that the circular bottom section of the track should have so that the seat exerts a force of 3800 N on an 80 kg rider?

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

i did:
(80*35^2/R)-9.8(80)=3800
98000/R=4584
R=98000/4584
=21.38 m?

but apparently i did something wrong and got the wrong answer.
can someone help me out??

Physics news on Phys.org
runningirl said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i did:
(80*35^2/R)-9.8(80)=3800

At the bottom you would have mv2/R = 3800-9.8(80) (as both the reaction and the weight act in opposite directions).

Why do you have a minus sign between the two terms? The seat needs to counter both gravity AND the supply the centripetal acceleration. Shouldn't it be plus?

at the bottom of the roller coaster it should be a minus sign instead of a plus.

runningirl said:
at the bottom of the roller coaster it should be a minus sign instead of a plus.

Why do you think that?

There was a second part to the question.

b) In the second section the coaster goes over a hill with radius 10 m. You do some calculations and find that the speed at the top of the hill is going to be 12 m/s. Is this speed acceptable? Why or why not?
F=mv^2/r
=144*80/10
=1152
i said no because mg=9.8(80)=784 and mg>1152 to work.
1152=mg-Fn... so if Fn>0?!

runningirl said:
There was a second part to the question.

b) In the second section the coaster goes over a hill with radius 10 m. You do some calculations and find that the speed at the top of the hill is going to be 12 m/s. Is this speed acceptable? Why or why not?
F=mv^2/r
=144*80/10
=1152
i said no because mg=9.8(80)=784 and mg>1152 to work.
1152=mg-Fn... so if Fn>0?!

Fn must have a different sign at the top of the roller coaster than on the bottom shouldn't it?

yeah.. it should be plus...
but i know it doesn't work since Fn>0 to work...

though my teacher said something like 1152=mg-Fn?

runningirl said:
yeah.. it should be plus...
but i know it doesn't work since Fn>0 to work...

ma=Fn+Fgrav where you think of the symbols as representing forces with a direction. Put a=v^2/r, Fgrav=-mg and let Fn be the magnitude of the normal force. We'll indicate direction (up or down) by the sign of the quantity. At the bottom the centripetal acceleration is upwards and Fn is upwards. So putting plus signs on those quantities, we get ma=Fn-mg or Fn=ma+mg. At the top the centripetal acceleration is downwards and Fn needs to be downwards if you are going to stay in the seat. So we put minus signs on ma and Fn. So -ma=-Fn-mg. Or Fn=ma-mg.

1. What is the purpose of calculating the track radius for a roller coaster?

The track radius for a roller coaster is calculated to ensure that the roller coaster can safely navigate through the track with the given force. It helps engineers determine the shape and size of the track to provide a thrilling yet safe ride for riders.

2. How is the track radius calculated for a roller coaster?

The track radius is calculated using the equation: R = m * v^2 / F, where R is the radius, m is the mass of the roller coaster, v is the velocity, and F is the centripetal force. This equation takes into account the force of gravity and the force needed to maintain the circular motion of the roller coaster.

3. What is the significance of the given force (3800 N) in calculating the track radius?

The given force is the centripetal force needed to maintain the roller coaster's circular motion. It is an important factor in determining the track radius as it affects the speed and acceleration of the roller coaster. A higher force would result in a smaller track radius, while a lower force would require a larger track radius.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the track radius calculation for a roller coaster?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the track radius calculation, such as the shape and design of the track, the weight distribution of the roller coaster, and the type of materials used. These factors can also impact the overall safety and thrill of the roller coaster.

5. How does the track radius impact the overall experience of a roller coaster ride?

The track radius plays a crucial role in the overall experience of a roller coaster ride. A smaller track radius can result in sharper turns and faster speeds, creating a more intense and thrilling ride. On the other hand, a larger track radius can result in smoother turns and slower speeds, providing a more relaxed and comfortable ride.