Calculating Rollercoaster Energy and Designing for Conservation

In summary, the assignment is to build a rollercoaster with one loop, a collision, and two hills, while conserving the most energy as a marble goes through the circuit. The rollercoaster must also be activated by a spring, with the first hill being at most 30cm above the finishing height and the starting height being up to 15cm above the bottom. The equations needed for the calculations are provided. The main challenges are finding the radius of the loop and the k value for the spring, as there is always one variable missing. More information is needed on the spring and the collision. One suggestion is to arrange the collision to minimize energy loss. It is also possible to work backwards from the end to find the spring
BlueCardBird

Homework Statement

So there's an assignment that I must complete which is to build a rollercoaster. The main problem is during the blueprint stage, I'm extremely confused with the calculations. This roller coaster must have one loop, a collision and 2 hills, the goal is the conserve the most energy as a object (marble) going through the circuit. In addition the rollercoaster must be activated by a spring. What I had in mind was to have one hill, a collision followed by another hill and finally the loop. Further more, the height of the first hill may be at most 30.cm above the finishing height. The starting height may be up to 15 cm above the bottom.

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2
Eg=mgh
Fc=m(v^2/r)
Es=1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

To be honest I just need to find a radius of the loop and k value for the spring but I have no idea where to start calculation, it seems like always one variable is missing. Can anyone give me a start?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need from the spring is energy, so it could be a high k or a long displacement.
What springs are available?
Need more info re the collision. Are there two marbles, the first impeling a second, and only the second making it to the end? If not, what is the collision?
For the loop, there is a minimum speed to ensure it stays in contact all the way round. Do you know how to calculate that?

Well for the collision the second marble must finish the track keep in mind that the goal is to have the most mechanical energy conserved from beginning to end. The compression of the spring and constant are decided by me but i don't have enough information to calculate it i don't know whether i should set a radius and calculate the rest from there or to find a spring and calculate the radius that way.

So how would you arrange the collision so as to minimise loss of energy?
If you can find a spring to meet whatever requirement, you could start from the end and work backwards. You didn not answer my question about making it around the loop.

The spring has no requirements and as for the loop I am not aware of that, to my knowledge its just Fc=m(v^2/r) and you can find the radius that way.

BlueCardBird said:
as for the loop I am not aware of that, to my knowledge its just Fc=m(v^2/r) and you can find the radius that way.
So the minimum speed at top of loop is?

1. What are the main safety concerns with rollercoasters?

The main safety concerns with rollercoasters include structural integrity, proper maintenance and inspections, and safety restraints. Structural integrity is important to ensure that the rollercoaster can withstand the forces of the ride. Proper maintenance and inspections are necessary to identify and address any potential issues that may arise. Safety restraints, such as lap bars and seat belts, are crucial in keeping riders securely in their seats during the ride.

2. How do engineers design rollercoasters?

Engineers use a combination of physics principles, computer-aided design (CAD) software, and physical models to design rollercoasters. They must take into account factors such as speed, acceleration, and forces like gravity and centripetal force. They also consider the track layout, the type of train used, and any special elements like loops or corkscrews.

3. How are rollercoasters tested for safety?

Rollercoasters undergo a series of rigorous tests before they are deemed safe for public use. These tests include static testing, where the rollercoaster is checked for structural integrity, and dynamic testing, where the rollercoaster is run with a loaded train to simulate real-life conditions. Safety factors, such as G-forces and acceleration, are closely monitored during testing.

4. How are rollercoasters maintained?

Rollercoasters require regular maintenance to ensure they remain safe for riders. Maintenance crews perform daily inspections of the track and trains, checking for any signs of wear or damage. They also conduct routine maintenance tasks such as lubrication of moving parts and replacement of worn components. Annual inspections by qualified engineers are also required to ensure the ride is in compliance with safety regulations.

5. How do rollercoasters provide a safe and thrilling experience?

Rollercoasters are designed with safety in mind while still providing a thrilling experience for riders. The use of safety restraints, proper maintenance, and rigorous testing all contribute to the safety of the ride. Engineers also use design elements such as drops, twists, and turns to create a thrilling yet safe experience. The combination of safety precautions and exciting elements makes rollercoasters a popular form of entertainment.