1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rollercoaster& velocity problem Please Help

1. Mar 19, 2006 #1
    Suppose the roller coaster in Fig. 6-41 (h1 = 38 m, h2 = 12 m, h3 = 20) passes point 1 with a speed of 1.40 m/s. If the average force of friction is equal to one third of its weight, with what speed will it reach point 2? The distance traveled is 35.0 m.
    m/s

Please view atachment

I dont even know where to start with this problem

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm afraid you problem isn't going to get answered ASAP, it takes a while for attachments to be approved. Perhaps if you described your problem?

4. Mar 19, 2006 #3
    Or maybe you could host it in http://www.imageshack.us/ ...

5. Mar 19, 2006 #4
    ok so there is a rollercoaster on the ramp and there are 3 diffeternt positions allocated (hi= 38m, H2=12m, H3=20m). Now according to the problem there is a friction force on the rollercoaster which amount to 1/3 of thr rollercoaster's weight. But they dont give the weight of the rollercoaster. Since there is a long distance between hi and h2 they want to know whats the velocity at point 2 ( which is btween H1 &2). My porblem is that i dont even know what equations i should be using because my prof always gave us similar problems in which mass was given. is so i would use :

mgd=mgd2 + friction(distance)

6. Mar 19, 2006 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is the correct equation to use. Think about how else you could write the frictional force. What other equations do you know for friction?

7. Mar 19, 2006 #6
    force of friction = coefficient of friction X normal force
    coefficient of friction mass(9.8)
    Force of Friction= coefficient of friction x mgcostheta
    with the other equation : friction =mgd/mgd2
    -----------
    distance

8. Mar 19, 2006 #7

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex]F_{friction} = \mu R = \mu mg[/tex]

Substitute [itex]F_{friction} = \mu mg[/itex] into your equation and you will find that the masses cancel...

9. Mar 19, 2006 #8
    umg=mgd/mgd2
    u=d/d2

10. Mar 19, 2006 #9
    chazgurl4life,

I think you did a mistake:

umg=mgd/mgd2
    um = d/d2

Only the masses in bold cancel and g.

11. Mar 19, 2006 #10
    oh ok thanx

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?