1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolle's Theorem application

1. Oct 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given 2 functions f(x) and g(x) that are differentiable everywhere on R and f′(x) = g(x) and g′(x) = −f(x). Prove that
    1. Between any two consecutive zeros of f(x)=0 there is exactly one zero of g(x)=0,
    2. Between any two consecutive zeros of g(x)=0 there is exactly one zero of f(x)=0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I guess the first question has something to do with Rolle's Theorem but the theorem only states that there exists a zero of f'(x)=0 between 2 zeros of f(x), without mentioning about the uniqueness of that zero. Also I have trouble tackling the second question. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose there were two zeros of f'(x). What does that tell you about g(x)?

4. Oct 12, 2012 #3
    A contradiction! I think I quite get what you said...

Let a and b (a < b) be 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0, i.e. f(a)=f(b)=0. By Rolle's Theorem, there exists c [itex] \in [/itex] (a,b) such that f'(c)=0, which means g(c)=0.

Suppose there were 2 zeros of f'(x) between a and b, namely c1 and c2 (a< c1 < c2 < b), then f'(c1)=f'(c2)=0, or equivalently, g(c1)=g(c2)=0. By Rolle's Theorem there exists d [itex] \in [/itex] (a,b) such that g'(d)=0. It follows that -f(d)=0 and thus f(d)=0. This is a contradiction since a and b are 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0.
    Therefore there is exactly 1 zero of g(x)=0 between 2 consecutive zeros of f(x)=0.

5. Oct 12, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Very nice! BTW sin(x) and cos(x) are examples of a pair of functions that have this property.

6. Oct 12, 2012 #5
    Yeah thank you so much!!
    I wonder if there are any non-periodic functions having this property?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook