1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolle's theorem problem

1. Mar 30, 2007 #1
    verify that the 3 hypothesis of rolle's theorem on the given interval . then find all the numbers c that satisfy the conclusion of rolle's theorem.

f(x)=sin2piex [-1,1]

i found the derivative cos 2pie x, but what do i do, and what does the theorem mean when f is differentiable on the open interval (a,b)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2007 #2
    what do i do

4. Mar 31, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First you go back and read the statement of Rolle's theorem? You are asked to "verify that the 3 hypothesis of rolle's theorem [are true] on the given interval". What are the 3 hypotheses? Being differentiable on the interior of the interval is one of them.

You are also asked to "find all the numbers c that satisfy the conclusion of rolle's theorem." Okay, what is the conclusion of Rolle's theorem?

5. Mar 31, 2007 #4
    well all these are true, so how do u find all numbers c

6. Mar 31, 2007 #5
    [itex]f'(c)=0[/itex]

10 chars....

7. Apr 1, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Again, what is the conclusion of Rolle's theorem?

8. Apr 1, 2007 #7

Gib Z

Homework Helper

No The derivative of [itex] \sin (2\pi x ) [/itex] is not that. Using the chain rule it is [itex]2\pi \cos (2\pi x)[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?