1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolles Theorem

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    The first hypothesis is that f is continuous on [a,b]....

Is there a more concise mathematical way of saying... "because the function f is a polynomial it is continuous in its domain."? Because I rather not write that on my test it looks sloppy and non professional...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't see any problem with what you said. All polynomials are defined and continuous on the entire real line.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3
    I know but is there another way to state that using math symbols or something to make it more concise in like 2-5 words.

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

This is all you need to say.
    "...because the function f is a polynomial, it is defined and continuous [STRIKE]in its domain[/STRIKE] on the entire real line."

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming you are using standard notation: "If p is a polynomial, then p ε C[a,b]".

7. Nov 8, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Note, by the way, that Rolle's theorem also requires that the function be differentiable on some interval. Fortunately, it is also true that all polynomials are differentiable for all x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook