1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolles Theorem

1. Mar 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Verify that the function satisfies the three hypotheses of Rolle's Theorem on the given interval. Then find all numbers c that satisfy the conclusion of Rolle's Theorem. (Enter your answers as a comma-separated list.)
    f(x) = cos 5x, [π/20, 7π/20]

2. Relevant equations

Rolles Theorem states:
    Let f be a function that satisfies the following three hypotheses:
    1. f is continuous on the closed interval [a,b]
    2. f is differentiable on the open interval (a,b)
    3. f(a)=f(b)

Then there is a number c in (a,b) such that f'(c)=0

3. The attempt at a solution

1. F is continuous on the closed interval because there is no where on the interval that f(x) is undefined.
    2. f is differentiable on the open interval because it is continuous on the closed interval
    3. This is where I get confused, these are not a part of the unit circle, do I just plug them in to the calculator to determine that f(a)=f(b)?

Then, to find C I must first find the derivative-
    f(x)=cos5x
    f'(x)=-5sin5x
    then I set this equal to 0 to find c
    0=-5sin5x
    so f'(x)= 0 when x is 0, when the sin5x=0. I don't even know how to go about finding this with numbers that are not on the unit circle.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    First off, 2 isn't entirely correct - there are functions which are continuous but not differentiable (e.g. absolute value).

As for the third part, it might be easier to make a change of variables: y = 5x. Then you're looking at cos y. What's the interval this would be on? It'd be [5*(pi/20), 5*(7 pi/20)] = [pi/4, 7 pi/4] (note that 8 pi/4 = 2 pi, so you're close)

As for finding C, you're almost there. sin 5x = 0 is the correct equation. When is sin y = 0? How does that translate into x?

4. Mar 12, 2012 #3
    So I am looking for a value between [pi/4, 7pi/4] rather than [pi/20,7pi/20]?
    This makes sense and I understand that.
    As for finding C, sin y= 0 at pi/2 and 3pi/2. I'm not sure how to translate this into x. I thought I would have to multiply it by 5 in order to translate it into x getting 5pi/2 and 15pi/2, but this was wrong. I then looked again and thought I realized my error and divided by 5 instead, getting pi/10 and 3pi/10, and I was still wrong. Where is my error translating this in to x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook