What is the work done by friction in a sliding and rolling ring?

In summary: So if the coefficient of friction is a, the work done by the friction in this process is,In summary, the ring slides and then starts to roll due to the friction between it and the ground. The initial kinetic energy of the ring is mv2/2, but half of it is converted to rotational energy.
vijayram

Homework Statement

A uniform ring of mass m and radius r is projected horizontally with velocity v on a rough horizontal floor,so that it starts off with a pure sliding motion and it acquires a pure rolling motion after moving a distance d.If the coeffcient of friction between ground and ring is a,the work done by the friction in this process is,

[/B]

Homework Equations

w = fd[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the ring starts with a pure sliding motion,the point of contact should move,since it is moving f =aN,N
=mg
so, f=amg
and it begins to roll,after rolling motion starts,friction won't do any work so w=fd.
so work done by friction is -amgd,but given answer is -0.5mv2

Please tell me where have I gone wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the initial kinetic energy of the ring as it is projected?

Baluncore said:
What is the initial kinetic energy of the ring as it is projected?
Sir,since initially no rotation motion would be present so it must be 1/2mv2

Where will that energy go?

vijayram said:
so work done by friction is -amgd,but given answer is -0.5mv2
Please tell me where have I gone wrong.
How did you convince yourself your answer is really wrong ? It may well be that it is in fact the same answer, only expressed in different variables ... :rolleyes:

BvU said:
How did you convince yourself your answer is really wrong ? It may well be that it is in fact the same answer, only expressed in different variables ... :rolleyes:
Yes, if they wanted the answer in terms of m and v they should have said so, or not provided the variable names d and a.
But surely there is something wrong with the given answer. The initial energy is mv2/2. If friction does work -mv2/2 there should be none left, yet it is rolling.

Likes vijayram
From the problem statement you could read that v is kept constant. But it takes some liberty...

BvU said:
From the problem statement you could read that v is kept constant. But it takes some liberty...
Too much liberty for me. It says projected, not dragged.
I think the answer is supposed to be -mv2/4.

Yes, I agree, the correct answer should be – 0.25 m v2
Half the initial energy is converted to rotational energy.

Baluncore said:
Yes, I agree, the correct answer should be – 0.25 m v2
Half the initial energy is converted to rotational energy.
No, half is lost to friction and a quarter converted to rotational.

Likes Baluncore
haruspex said:
Too much liberty for me. It says projected, not dragged.
Agree. How about interpreting ##v## as the final velocity :rolleyes:

haruspex said:
Yes, if they wanted the answer in terms of m and v they should have said so, or not provided the variable names d and a.
But surely there is something wrong with the given answer. The initial energy is mv2/2. If friction does work -mv2/2 there should be none left, yet it is rolling.
Thank you very much sir for replying but it actually happened that both options were there in the question when my answer matched with one of those,I didn't check the others.

-

vijayram said:
Thank you very much sir for replying but it actually happened that both options were there in the question when my answer matched with one of those,I didn't check the others.
Are you saying it was multiple choice, with -mv2/2 being only one of the possible answers?

haruspex said:
Are you saying it was multiple choice, with -mv2/2 being only one of the possible answers?
yes sir,the others being none of the above and insufficient information

vijayram said:
yes sir,the others being none of the above and insufficient information
Strange.
Leaving that aside, what answer can you get expressed only in terms of m and v?

haruspex said:
Strange.
Leaving that aside, what answer can you get expressed only in terms of m and v?
I got -0.25mv2

Likes BvU
vijayram said:
I got -0.25mv2
Right.

1. What is the difference between rolling and sliding rings?

Rolling and sliding rings refer to two different types of motion that a ring can exhibit. Rolling refers to the circular motion of a ring on a flat surface, while sliding refers to the linear motion of a ring on a surface. In rolling, the ring maintains contact with the surface at all times, while in sliding, the ring may lose contact with the surface.

2. How does the shape of a ring affect its rolling or sliding motion?

The shape of a ring can greatly affect its rolling or sliding motion. Rings with a circular or spherical shape are better suited for rolling, while rings with a flat or elongated shape are better suited for sliding. This is because the circular/spherical shape allows for smooth rolling motion, while the flat/elongated shape has a larger surface area for sliding.

3. What factors influence the speed of rolling or sliding rings?

The speed of rolling and sliding rings can be influenced by various factors. These include the shape and size of the ring, the surface it is rolling or sliding on, the force applied to the ring, and any external forces such as friction or gravity.

4. How does friction affect the rolling and sliding motion of rings?

Friction can greatly affect the rolling and sliding motion of rings. In rolling, friction can help to maintain the ring's motion and prevent it from slipping. In sliding, friction can either assist or hinder the motion of the ring, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force applied.

5. Can rings roll or slide on non-flat surfaces?

Yes, rings can roll or slide on non-flat surfaces. However, the motion may be more complex and influenced by other factors such as the shape and texture of the surface. In some cases, rings may not be able to roll or slide on certain surfaces due to their shape or properties.