How Does Slipping Affect the Acceleration of a Rolling Ball?

In summary, a rigid ball of mass 6kg and radius .23m is initially at rest on a table with a coefficient of friction of .435. Two forces are applied, 55N to the right at the center of mass and 20N to the left at the top of the ball. Using Newton's laws and the sum of moments, the angular acceleration and force of static friction are determined to be 34.2 rad/s2 and -12.2 N, respectively. However, this result does not match the assumption that the static friction is equal to μN. Further investigation is needed to reconcile this discrepancy.
CaptainP

Homework Statement

A rigid ball of mass m = 6kg and radius R = .23 m is sitting on a table. The mass center and geometric center of the ball coincide, but the radius of gyration about its mass center is k = .19 m. The ball is initially at rest. There is a coefficient of friction μ = .435 between the ball and the table. Two forces are then applied to the ball: a force F1 = 55 N to the right at the center of mass, and a force F2 = 20 N to the left at the very top of the ball. Given this, determine the angular acceleration of the ball and the linear acceleration of the ball's center at the instant the forces are first applied.

Homework Equations

[itex]I=mk^2[/itex] where k is the radius of gyration.
Acceleration point relation for rigid bodies
ƩF=ma
ƩM=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

The acceleration at the point of contact must be zero. Because the ball is initially at rest, this means that the acceleration at the center of the ball is simply αR because the ball is a rigid body. Assume that the friction force f, which acts at the point of contact, points to the left.

Next, we use Newton's law in the x and y directions. This gives F1 - F2 - f = ma = mrα and N - mg = 0. Then we take the sum of the moments about the center of the ball, which yields F2R - fR = mk2α. Without making the assumption that f = μN, we solve these three equations for 3 unknowns to find that N = 58.8 Newtons, f = -12.2 Newtons and α = 34.2 rad/s2.

This is where I get lost, because clearly f≠μN. How do I reconcile this? What assumptions am I making that are incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
CaptainP said:

Homework Statement

A rigid ball of mass m = 6kg and radius R = .23 m is sitting on a table. The mass center and geometric center of the ball coincide, but the radius of gyration about its mass center is k = .19 m. The ball is initially at rest. There is a coefficient of friction μ = .435 between the ball and the table. Two forces are then applied to the ball: a force F1 = 55 N to the right at the center of mass, and a force F2 = 20 N to the left at the very top of the ball. Given this, determine the angular acceleration of the ball and the linear acceleration of the ball's center at the instant the forces are first applied.

Homework Equations

[itex]I=mk^2[/itex] where k is the radius of gyration.
Acceleration point relation for rigid bodies
ƩF=ma
ƩM=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

The acceleration at the point of contact must be zero.

The title of your thread is "rolling ball with slipping" If the ball slips, the point of contact accelerates, and the rolling condition aCM=αR does not hold.

CaptainP said:
Because the ball is initially at rest, this means that the acceleration at the center of the ball is simply αR because the ball is a rigid body. Assume that the friction force f, which acts at the point of contact, points to the left.

Next, we use Newton's law in the x and y directions. This gives F1 - F2 - f = ma = mrα and N - mg = 0. Then we take the sum of the moments about the center of the ball, which yields F2R - fR = mk2α. Without making the assumption that f = μN, we solve these three equations for 3 unknowns to find that N = 58.8 Newtons, f = -12.2 Newtons and α = 34.2 rad/s2.

This is where I get lost, because clearly f≠μN. How do I reconcile this? What assumptions am I making that are incorrect?

You determined the angular acceleration and force of static friction of the rolling ball, that does not slip. Is the static friction equal to μN?

ehild

1. What is rolling ball with slipping?

Rolling ball with slipping is a type of motion where a ball moves along a surface while also experiencing slipping between the surface and the ball's surface. This is different from pure rolling, where there is no slipping between the ball and the surface.

2. How does rolling ball with slipping occur?

Rolling ball with slipping occurs when the force of friction between the ball and the surface is not strong enough to prevent slipping. This can happen when the surface is rough or when the ball is traveling at a high speed.

3. What are the factors that affect rolling ball with slipping?

The factors that affect rolling ball with slipping include the roughness of the surface, the speed of the ball, the mass and size of the ball, and the force of friction between the ball and the surface.

4. What are some real-life examples of rolling ball with slipping?

One example of rolling ball with slipping is a car's tires slipping on a wet road. Another example is a ball rolling down a hill on a rough surface. In both cases, the ball experiences both rolling and slipping motion.

5. How is rolling ball with slipping different from pure rolling?

In pure rolling, the ball's center of mass moves at the same speed as the surface it is rolling on, and there is no slipping between the ball and the surface. In rolling ball with slipping, the ball's center of mass moves at a different speed than the surface, and there is slipping between the ball and the surface.