Rolling Ball and angle of incline

In summary, for a solid sphere rolling down an incline without slipping, the angle the incline makes with the horizontal can be found using the equation sin\theta = \frac{7r}{25}, where r is the radius of the sphere. This is determined by relating the linear acceleration of the center of mass to the angular acceleration using the condition for rolling without slipping, a = \alpha r.
frazdaz

Homework Statement

A uniform solid sphere rolls down an incline without slipping. If the
linear acceleration of the centre of mass of the sphere is 0.2g, then what
is the angle the incline makes with the horizontal? Repeat for a thin
spherical shell.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum \tau = I \alpha[/tex]
[tex]I_{ball} = \frac{2mr^2}{5}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Moments about the tipping point:
[tex]mgrsin\theta = \frac{2mr^2}{5}\alpha[/tex]
Don't think this is going anywhere but I can't think of any other way to include moments of inertia.

Just thought, this moment of inertia is from the centre of the ball, not the tipping point. Correct?

So, by the parallel axis theorem,
[tex]mgrsin\theta = (\frac{2mr^2}{5} + mr^2)\alpha = \frac{7mr^2}{5}\alpha [/tex]

Which hardly helps

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good. Now relate the linear acceleration of the center of mass to the angular acceleration.

Likes 1 person
Doc Al said:
So far, so good. Now relate the linear acceleration of the center of mass to the angular acceleration.
Like this? (found from one of your posts)
[tex]a_t= \alpha r[/tex]

Last edited:
frazdaz said:
Like this? (found from one of your posts)
[tex]a_t= \alpha r[/tex]
Yes, exactly.

Doc Al said:
Yes, exactly.
I've just never seen that before.

[tex]mgrsin\theta = \frac{7mr^2}{5} \frac{g}{5}[/tex]
[tex]sin\theta = \frac{7r}{25}[/tex]
Does it want it in terms of r or have I gone wrong?
[tex]\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{7r}{25})[/tex]

frazdaz said:

[tex]mgrsin\theta = \frac{7mr^2}{5} \frac{g}{5}[/tex]
[tex]sin\theta = \frac{7r}{25}[/tex]
Does it want it in terms of r or have I gone wrong?
[tex]\theta = sin^{-1}(\frac{7r}{25})[/tex]

Recheck your calculations.You have missed an 'r' while making substitution. 'r' will cancel out .

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Recheck your calculations.You have missed an 'r' while making substitution. 'r' will cancel out .
Ahhh, of course. Thank you!
I take it the tangential acceleration is in the direction of the linear velocity? And is the radial acceleration just the centripetal acceleration?

frazdaz said:
I take it the tangential acceleration is in the direction of the linear velocity? And is the radial acceleration just the centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and radial acceleration of what ? In this problem we are dealing with linear and angular acceleration of the sphere.

frazdaz said:
That's the condition for 'rolling without slipping'.

frazdaz said:
The condition for rolling without slipping relates the linear acceleration of the center of mass to the angular acceleration:

[tex]a = \alpha r[/tex]

Doc Al said:
The condition for rolling without slipping relates the linear acceleration of the center of mass to the angular acceleration:

[tex]a = \alpha r[/tex]
Does that work as an inequality? i.e. object won't slip providing as long as this holds true [tex]a \leq \alpha r[/tex]

frazdaz said:
Does that work as an inequality? i.e. object won't slip providing as long as this holds true [tex]a \leq \alpha r[/tex]

No...If [itex]a \neq \alpha r[/itex] ,then slipping occurs .For rolling without slipping [itex]a = \alpha r[/itex]

frazdaz said:
No, it's an equality. If [itex]a \ne \alpha r[/itex], then there is slipping.

Doc Al said:
No, it's an equality. If [itex]a \ne \alpha r[/itex], then there is slipping.
How would it slip if the linear acceleration smaller than the RHS? I can picture the ball accelerating so quickly that it begins to slip, but not the other way around.

frazdaz said:
How would it slip if the linear acceleration smaller than the RHS? I can picture the ball accelerating so quickly that it begins to slip, but not the other way around.
Imagine the ball spinning, without enough traction.

In practice, if you were to start the ball from rest at the top of the incline and there were insufficient friction to prevent slipping, you would have [itex]a \gt \alpha r[/itex].

Nonetheless, if you have rolling without slipping, then [itex]a = \alpha r[/itex].

Likes 1 person

1. What is the relationship between the angle of incline and the speed of a rolling ball?

The angle of incline affects the speed of a rolling ball by changing the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the ball. As the angle of incline increases, the force of gravity acting on the ball becomes more perpendicular to the incline, causing the ball to accelerate faster down the incline. This results in an increase in the speed of the rolling ball.

2. How does friction affect the motion of a rolling ball on an incline?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of motion and can slow down the rolling ball on an incline. The amount of friction depends on the smoothness of the surface and the weight of the ball. A rough surface or a heavier ball will experience more friction, resulting in a slower speed down the incline.

3. Can the angle of incline affect the distance a rolling ball travels?

Yes, the angle of incline can affect the distance a rolling ball travels. A steeper incline will result in a faster and shorter distance traveled, while a shallower incline will result in a slower but longer distance traveled. This is because the angle of incline affects the acceleration and speed of the ball, which in turn affects the distance traveled.

4. How can we calculate the force of gravity acting on a rolling ball on an incline?

The force of gravity acting on a rolling ball on an incline can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg sin(theta), where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the ball, and theta is the angle of incline. This formula takes into account the vertical component of the force of gravity acting on the ball.

5. Why does a rolling ball eventually come to a stop on an incline?

A rolling ball eventually comes to a stop on an incline due to the presence of friction. As the ball rolls down the incline, it loses kinetic energy due to friction acting against its motion. Eventually, the ball will come to a stop when all of its kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.