1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling Bowling Ball (Rolling Energy)

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 20-cm-diameter, 6.0kg bowling ball rolls along a horizontal floor at 4.0 m/s. The ball then rolls up a 2.0-m-long ramp sloped at 30 degrees up from horizontal. Rolling friction is negligible. What is the ball's speed at the top of the ramp?

2. Relevant equations
    K(final) + U(final) = K(initial) + U(initial)
    I = 2/5 * M * R^2
    omega = V/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    The ball starts out with all kinetic energy so the above equation becomes k(final) + U(final) = k(initial). I set up the following equation:

1/2*I*omega(final)^2 + 1/2*M*v(final)^2 + M * g * h = 1/2*I*omega(initial)^2 + 1/2*M*v(initial)^2

After substituting in the values for I and omega, the radius and mass cancel out and I am left with:

7/10*v(final)^2 = 7/10*v(initial)^2 - g * h

After doing some simple trig on the slope I found that h = 1m, and solving for v(final) I end up with:

v(final) = 1.41 m/s

Since I don't know the answer to the problem and I get credit on an all or nothing basis, I wanted to come here and have someone verify the validity of my work before I hand it in.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted