1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling candle

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Horizontal plate is rolling around its horizontal axis. On the plate few meters away from this axis there is a jar with a burning candle inside

2. Relevant equations
    Where would go the candlelight/flame , i mean which side would it turn and why

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think there are 2 answers for me at the moment.
    Normal centrifugal force and the flame would try to escape from this rolling plate (haha i cant say this another way)
    Or it wouldnt move beacose jar is new environment/center which dont lead inertial force or flame which is gas beacose of jar wouldnt have to push the air.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello korec123. Welcome to PF !

I think you need to do a more thorough job of describing the situation here.

Can you post an image for this?

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    I'm going to guess this is a round horizontal plate spinning on its vertical axis.
    Think of a marble in the jar. Where will it go? Why?
    A flame is less dense than air. Where will it go?

5. Sep 6, 2015 #4
    Hmm, i if there would be a marble , it will go with a jar outside the plate , going with this flame would go opposite way , i mean it would move towards vertical axis.
    But what if candle and jar cant move?

6. Sep 6, 2015 #5
    I think the problem assumes the jar is stuck to the plate and the candle is stuck to the bottom of the jar.

7. Sep 6, 2015 #6
    so am i right?

8. Sep 6, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted