1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling car down a hill

1. Nov 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A toy car has a total mass of 50 g, and rolls on freely spinning wheels, each of which can be modeled as a uniform disk of mass 1 g, and radius 2mm. What is the acceleration, a, of this toy car when it rolls without slipping down a ramp tilted at an angle of 20 degrees to the horizontal? By what factor is the toy car faster or slower than a frictionless block of the same total mass, ie what is a_car/a_frictionless?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    velocity_center of mass=wr (w is angular velocity, r is radius)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to start this....how do you find the acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2008 #2
  4. Nov 30, 2008 #3
    I don't see a link for the solution for that problem on the site you posted...I see the question, though. Can you send me a link to the solution?

5. Nov 30, 2008 #4
    hmm there's no link, I got there by going to the homepage then press on IPhO 02 and then the questions on the top with the answers on the bottom

I got to the part with 5 equations and 5 unknows but I haven't solved it yet. it seems like just a bit more complex situtation of your problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?