Distance Rolled by 2.2cm Coin in 9.034s

• Thread starter starfish794
  • Start date
In summary: So you can find the distance the coin travels by multiplying the angular displacement by the circumference of the coin.In summary, the original question asks for the distance a coin with a radius of 2.2cm rolls for 9.034s, and the answer needs to be in meters. To find this, we need to know the speed and time of the coin and use rotational kinematics equations to calculate the angular displacement and distance traveled.
starfish794
If a coin with a radius of 2.2cm rolls for 9.034s, how far does it roll?

The answer needs to be in meters so 2.2cm=.022m. Is there a simple formula for this? I feel like I'm missing something easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
starfish794 said:
If a coin with a radius of 2.2cm rolls for 9.034s, how far does it roll?

The answer needs to be in meters so 2.2cm=.022m. Is there a simple formula for this? I feel like I'm missing something easy.
Something is missing. You need to know the speed of the coin to answer this question.

A coin with a diameter of 2.20 cm is dropped on edge onto a horizontal surface. The coin starts out with an initial angular speed of 15.9 rad/s and rolls in a straight line without slipping. If the rotation slows with an angular acceleration of magnitude 1.76 rad/s2, how far does the coin roll before coming to rest?

That was the original question and then i used w=w+(alpha)t to find the time.

starfish794 said:
A coin with a diameter of 2.20 cm is dropped on edge onto a horizontal surface. The coin starts out with an initial angular speed of 15.9 rad/s and rolls in a straight line without slipping. If the rotation slows with an angular acceleration of magnitude 1.76 rad/s2, how far does the coin roll before coming to rest?

That was the original question and then i used w=w+(alpha)t to find the time.
Use the other equations of rotational kinematics (w=w+(alpha)t is just one of this set of equations) to find the angular displacement of the coin during this time interval. Then figure out how far a point on the circumference of the coin would have moved if the coin had just been rotating about its center. Since the coin was not slipping, this is the distance the coin moved before coming to a stop. In one rotation, the coin moves one circumference.

1. How do you calculate the distance rolled by a 2.2cm coin in 9.034s?

The distance rolled by a 2.2cm coin in 9.034s can be calculated using the formula d = vt, where d is the distance, v is the velocity, and t is the time. In this case, the velocity is equal to the circumference of the coin (2πr) divided by the time (9.034s). So, the distance rolled would be 2π(2.2cm)/9.034s = 1.54cm.

2. Why is the time important in determining the distance rolled by a coin?

The time is important because it is a crucial factor in calculating the velocity of the coin. Without knowing the time, we cannot accurately determine how fast the coin is rolling and therefore cannot calculate the distance rolled.

3. Can the distance rolled by a coin be affected by external factors?

Yes, the distance rolled by a coin can be affected by external factors such as surface friction, air resistance, and the angle at which the coin is rolled. These factors can alter the velocity of the coin and therefore change the distance it travels.

4. How does the size of the coin affect the distance rolled?

The size of the coin does not directly affect the distance rolled, but it can indirectly impact it. A larger coin may have a larger circumference, which would result in a greater distance rolled if the velocity and time are kept constant.

5. Is the distance rolled by a coin in 9.034s a significant measurement?

The significance of the distance rolled by a coin in 9.034s depends on the context and purpose of the measurement. In some cases, this distance may be considered significant, while in others it may not be. It is important to consider the specific application of the measurement to determine its significance.