1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling constraints problem

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    How can I show that when a ball is rolling without slipping on a horizontal plane, the total horizontal force on the ball must be zero?

I guess I should consider the ball as a rigid body and combine the equations describing the rotation with the rolling constraints, but how? Can someone give me a starter here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The statement is not correct. I think you meant to say that it is rolling at a constant velocity without slipping. If it's translational and rotational velocities are constant, then what can you say about F=ma?

But you can definitely accelerate a ball on a horizontal plane by applying a net force....

4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    The problem says nothing about constant velocity, just that the ball is constrained to move on a horizontal plane. Otherwise, a = 0 and F = 0.

5. Dec 4, 2006 #4
    When the ball is not slipping, you can say something about the normal force.

6. Dec 4, 2006 #5
    Yeah, equal to mg?

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    edit: nevermind.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?