Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Rolling constraints problem

1. Dec 4, 2006 #1
    How can I show that when a ball is rolling without slipping on a horizontal plane, the total horizontal force on the ball must be zero?

I guess I should consider the ball as a rigid body and combine the equations describing the rotation with the rolling constraints, but how? Can someone give me a starter here?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2006 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The statement is not correct. I think you meant to say that it is rolling at a constant velocity without slipping. If it's translational and rotational velocities are constant, then what can you say about F=ma?

But you can definitely accelerate a ball on a horizontal plane by applying a net force....

4. Dec 4, 2006 #3
    The problem says nothing about constant velocity, just that the ball is constrained to move on a horizontal plane. Otherwise, a = 0 and F = 0.

5. Dec 4, 2006 #4
    When the ball is not slipping, you can say something about the normal force.

6. Dec 4, 2006 #5
    Yeah, equal to mg?

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6
    edit: nevermind.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook