1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling dice until sum is 14

1. Mar 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Roll 7 dice. What is the probability that the sum of the numbers is 14?

2. Relevant equations

Possibly a probability generating function because the problem comes from the chapter that deals with it but I can't think of which one (if any actually apply).

3. The attempt at a solution

Here is the solution: 6-7[(13 choose 7)-49]

I really have no idea why. The 67 in the denominator I understand because that is the total number of different ways you can roll 7 dice. Where does the rest come from?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2009 #2
    By the definition of probability, the numerator should be the number of different ways you can roll seven dice and get a sum of 14. So how would you count them to get this answer?

4. Mar 17, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You might start with a simpler problem to get your head around the harder problem. For example, what's the probability of rolling three dice and getting a total of 6?

The only combinations that produce a total of 6 are (2, 2, 2) and (1, 2, 3). There is only one way to get (2, 2, 2), namely that all three dice have to be 3s, but there are 6 ways to get (1, 2, 3). I've written this as an ordered triple, but I really don't mean it that way--only that one die is a one, another is a two, and the last is a three.

So for this easier problem, what's the probability that three dice will show a total of 6? Can you extend this idea to your problem?

Can you extend this counting strategy to

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook