Rolling Forces: Solved [SOLVED] Rolling Forces

In summary, the problem involves a bowling ball sliding down a lane with an initial speed and angular speed. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the lane is given, causing a linear and angular acceleration. The task is to find the com velocity, linear acceleration, angular acceleration, time for sliding, distance for sliding, and speed when smooth rolling begins. To solve the problem, use the equation T = FkR to find the torque, and relate com velocity to angular velocity when the ball stops sliding. Also, use the equation T = I\alpha to find the angular acceleration. Finally, relate the com velocity to linear acceleration to find the time and distance for sliding, and the speed when smooth rolling begins.
Nanuven
[SOLVED] Rolling Forces

Homework Statement

A bowler throws a bowling ball of radius R = 11 cm down a lane. The ball slides on the lane with initial speed vcom,0 = 6.0 m/s and initial angular speed 0 = 0. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the ball and the lane is 0.19. The kinetic frictional force fk acting on the ball causes a linear acceleration of the ball while producing a torque that causes an angular acceleration of the ball. When speed vcom has decreased enough and angular speed has increased enough, the ball stops sliding and then rolls smoothly.
(a) What then is vcm in terms of ?
___________m·[tex]\omega[/tex]

(b) During the sliding, what is the ball's linear acceleration?
___________m/s2

(c) During the sliding, what is the ball's angular acceleration?
___________rad/s2

(d) How long does the ball slide?
___________s

(e) How far does the ball slide?
___________m

(f) What is the speed of the ball when smooth rolling begins?
___________m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

I am utterly lost in this problem. I assume that since the ball is sliding the force of kinetic friction is applying a torque onto the ball so:

T = FkR
T = Fk(.11m)

and Fk = uN so

T = (.19)(9.8)(.11)m
so
T = .2048 * m

now, I'm lost. Any pointers in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So far you're on the right path. The key is realizing when the ball stops slipping, and starts rolling. This is going to happen when the angular velocity can be directly related to the com velocity. Imagine a ball making one complete revolution, use this to relate com velocity to angular velocity when something isn't slipping. Use this velocity to find out how long it takes to decelerate to that point.
Does that help?

Ok so I got that angular acceleration during sliding is 42.3 rad/s by the fact that, T = I[tex]\alpha[/tex] and also equal to the equation above.

I realize that when the ball stops slipping that the Acceleration of the Center of mass = [tex]\alpha[/tex] * R and that all those equations start to apply where Velocity of the Center of mass = [tex]\omega[/tex] * R . But how do I figure out the linear acceleration during the sliding?

Stupid Question...sorry Wasn't thinking. Ok so I have the Linear Acceleration. But how do I figure out when the ball actually starts to roll and stop sliding?

1. What are rolling forces?

Rolling forces are the forces acting on an object as it rolls, typically caused by friction, inertia, and external forces such as gravity or applied forces.

2. How do rolling forces affect an object's motion?

Rolling forces can either accelerate or decelerate an object's motion, depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces. They can also cause the object to change direction or rotate.

3. How can rolling forces be calculated?

Rolling forces can be calculated using the equations and principles of mechanics, including Newton's laws of motion and the concept of torque.

4. What are some real-world applications of understanding rolling forces?

Understanding rolling forces is important in the design and operation of vehicles such as cars, bicycles, and roller coasters. It is also relevant in the study of planetary motion and the movement of objects on inclined surfaces.

5. Can rolling forces be minimized or eliminated?

Rolling forces can be reduced by using smooth, low-friction surfaces, and by minimizing external forces such as wind or uneven terrain. In some cases, they can be completely eliminated by using specialized mechanisms, such as ball bearings or air bearings.