1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling friction

1. Apr 19, 2007 #1
    if a rear wheel driven car is accelerated
    i think...
    1. on rear wheels friction is forward
    2 on front wheels it is backward

my questions-
    1.wats d direction of rolling friction on the car as a whole?(is dis question correct?)

2.which wheel will have greater magnitude of friction??
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2007 #2
    friction is always in direction opposite that of motion.
  4. Apr 20, 2007 #3
    going by your logic
    You mean in pure rolling motion the friction should act backward??:surprised :surprised
  5. Apr 20, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

friction opposes slipping between surfaces

A better way to describe friction is to say that it always opposes slipping between surfaces. Consider the rear tires. Without friction, they would just spin, slipping to the rear with respect to the road. Friction with the road opposes that slipping by acting towards the front. The friction accelerates the car forward, so friction and the car's motion are in the same direction.
  6. Apr 20, 2007 #5
    Thanks Al, a nice explanation. I was only considering situation where there was already angular velocity and see now problem asks during acceleration. My bad.
  7. Apr 20, 2007 #6
    Thanks Al !:smile:
    but u haven't answered my second question...
    please see if u can tell me something about it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?