Calculating Rolling Friction for Toy Car on 12° Ramp

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating rolling friction for a toy car experiment on a ramp. The experiment involves measuring the time and length of the ramp, as well as the weight of the car's wheel. The conversation also touches on using kinematics and force balance equations to determine the acceleration and rolling friction force.
lovemake1
[Urgent] Rolling Friction

Homework Statement

How would you calculate a rollin friction? I have a toy car and it is going down the ramp that is 12 degrees above the horizontal.

im very new with this.

the car's Radius is 0.3cm.

what experiment would i have to find this out? please i need to know

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

We need more information about your experiment. Did you time how long it took the car to travel down the ramp, and measure how long the ramp is?

Assuming no friction (only gravity), what should the acceleration of the car be? How does this compare to its actual acceleration?

ok yes i have this experiment

** This is a toy experiment ***

the ramp angle = 12 degrees
time taken to travel the ramp = 0.370seconds
length of the plane = 0.1905m
weight of the wheel = 0.3g

the acceleration of the car should be just the x-component of the gravity. but however how would it change with the addition of rolling frictional force??

can i calculate with these givens? please help !

lovemake1 said:
ok yes i have this experiment

** This is a toy experiment ***

the ramp angle = 12 degrees
time taken to travel the ramp = 0.370seconds
length of the plane = 0.1905m

the acceleration of the car should be just the x-component of the gravity. but however how would it change with the addition of rolling frictional force??

can i calculate with these givens? please help !

This is motion under constant acceleration. Therefore, if you know the initial velocity, distance travelled, and time taken, you should be able to use basic kinematics to calculate the acceleration (experimental value).

Yes, the component of the weight along the ramp tells you what the acceleration is assuming no friction. If there is friction, then another force acts (in addition to gravity). Remember that Newton's second law says that the acceleration depends upon the NET force. Does that help?

wait.. I've currently developed a formurla for this experiment but instead of adding a
rolling friction I've mistakely added static friction...

ugh.. the whole system of equation right now would be

mgsin(theta) - FR(rolling friction) = ma

but... how do we find FR.. ?? I am not sure and vi is 0 for this occasion because i have to realease it.

How would i calculate the rollin frictional force?? please help me get to the point

lovemake1 said:
mgsin(theta) - FR(rolling friction) = ma

but... how do we find FR.. ??

How would i calculate the rollin frictional force?? please help me get to the point

Well, you know mgsin(theta), and you know ma

this is actually my first time dealing with Rollin force, it came to my way unexpectedly...

i searched it and the formula for rolling friction was Fr= CrrNF
how can i use mgsin(theta), and ma to find Fr ?
what equation is correct to use? please help

You don't need to know any specific equation for the rolling friction force, you can just calculate what it is. That force balance equation you have written relates those three forces to each other. Since you know two of them, you can solve for the third one.

so it would be

FgSin(theta) - F rolling friction - Ff = ma

- Fr = ma + Ff - FgSin(theta)

this would be correct??

btw how would i be able to calculate the accelerationi without knowing Fr ?
the only way i calculated acceleration in the first place was becuase

Fnet = ma

Fgsin(theta) - Ff = ma

mgsin(theta) - Us mgcos(theta) = ma

mg [ sin(theta) - usCos(theta) = ma

a = g (sin(theta) - usCos(theta))

but now?? how do i calculate for acceleration !
do i go find velocity using

Last edited:

What is Ff? The only thing you can calculate is the total force due to friction (of any kind) by looking at the difference between the theoretical acceleration due to gravity (only) and the actual experimental (measured) acceleration.

huh ! ?

1. How is rolling friction calculated for a toy car on a 12° ramp?

Rolling friction for a toy car on a 12° ramp can be calculated by using the formula μ = tanθ, where μ represents the coefficient of rolling friction and θ represents the angle of the ramp. For a 12° ramp, the coefficient of rolling friction would be μ = tan12° ≈ 0.21.

2. What factors affect rolling friction for a toy car on a 12° ramp?

The coefficient of rolling friction for a toy car on a 12° ramp can be affected by various factors, such as the weight and size of the toy car, the surface material of the ramp, and the condition of the wheels.

3. How does the angle of the ramp impact rolling friction for a toy car?

The angle of the ramp plays a significant role in determining the coefficient of rolling friction for a toy car. As the angle increases, the coefficient of rolling friction also increases, making it more difficult for the toy car to roll down the ramp.

4. Can rolling friction be reduced for a toy car on a 12° ramp?

Yes, rolling friction can be reduced for a toy car on a 12° ramp by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as smoother wheels or a more slippery surface on the ramp.

5. How is rolling friction different from other types of friction?

Rolling friction is different from other types of friction, such as static and sliding friction, because it involves the interaction between the rotating wheels of the toy car and the surface of the ramp. It is also typically lower than other types of friction, making it easier for the toy car to move down the ramp.