1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling motion in a special ramp

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming the sphere roles down without sliding prove that the acceleration of it's center of mass is:

[tex] a= \frac{g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{1+\frac{2}{5}\cdot \frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}[/tex]

[tex]Where \ \xi=\frac{L}{R}[/tex]

Note that the moment of inertia of the sphere is:

[tex]I_{sphere}=\frac{2}{5}\cdot M\cdot R^2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\tau= F\cdot r\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex]

[tex]\alpha\cdot R=a[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

The forces acting on the sphere are: the normal force, the force of gravity and the frictional force. The sum of the y components of the normal force will be equal to [tex]M\cdot g[/tex] and the sum of the x components will be 0. So that the sum of torques due to the normal force is zero as well as torques due to the sphere's weight.

[tex]\tau_{a}=F_{a}\cdot R\cdot \sin(\varphi)[/tex]

Where we have by the figure:

[tex]\sin(\varphi)= \frac{\sqrt{R^2-(\frac{L}{2}^2)}}{R}= \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}[/tex]

So we have that:

[tex] \left\{ \begin{array}{ccc} 2\cdot F_{a}\cdot R\cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2} & = & I\cdot \alpha \\ -2\cdot F_{a} + M\cdot g\cdot \sin(\theta) & = & M\cdot a \end{array} \right. [/tex]

Which will yield:

[tex]F_{a}= \frac{I\cdot a}{2\cdot R^2\cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}[/tex]

After some manipulation you arive to

[tex]a=\frac{M\cdot g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{M+\frac{I}{R^2\cdot \sqrt{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}}[/tex]

Which after substituting I for it's value leads to:

[tex]a= \frac{g\cdot \sin(\theta)}{1+\frac{2}{5}\cdot \sqrt{\frac{1}{1-\frac{1}{4}\cdot \xi^2}}}[/tex]

Can somebody please tell me where I've gone wrong
    Last edited: May 16, 2010
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted