1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling motion with slipping

1. Jan 4, 2009 #1
    This isn't actually a homework question, but the style of it fits best in this forum.

Diagram
    [​IMG]
    • [tex]\tau[/tex] - torque of wheel
    • [tex]R[/tex] - radius of wheel
    • [tex]f_k[/tex] - force due to kinetic friction

Question
    Is the translational acceleration of the wheel independent of the torque when the wheel is slipping? That is, if the torque is increased, will [tex]f_k[/tex] increase?

My attempt (Not necessarily correct)

Additional variables:
    • [tex]u_k[/tex] - coefficient of kinetic friction between floor and wheel
    • [tex]N[/tex] - normal force
    • [tex]m[/tex] - mass of wheel
    • [tex]g[/tex] - acceleration due to gravity

[tex]N = mg[/tex] (since it's on a flat surface)
    [tex]f_k = u_k N = u_k m g[/tex]

[tex]\tau[/tex] does not appear in the equation, so [tex]f_k[/tex] is independent of torque. No matter how much the torque is increased, [tex]f_k[/tex] will not increase if the wheel slips.

Thanks for reading through my question,
    David

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 4, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, sure. If the frictional force is purely due to kinetic friction, it's only dependent on the normal force and independent of torque.

4. Jan 4, 2009 #3
    Okay, thank you very much for answering. My intuition told me otherwise, so I wanted to verify my answer.

5. Jan 4, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your intuition probably told you otherwise because if the wheel is not slipping then you are dealing with static friction which is very dependent on the applied force. Even if it is slipping kinetic friction is only an approximate model. Don't dis your intuition too much.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?