Rolling motion with slipping

In summary, the translational acceleration of the wheel is independent of the torque when the wheel is slipping, as the frictional force is solely dependent on the normal force and the coefficient of kinetic friction. Therefore, increasing the torque will not increase the force due to kinetic friction. However, it is important to note that this is only an approximate model and static friction plays a significant role when the wheel is not slipping.
Just a nobody
This isn't actually a homework question, but the style of it fits best in this forum.

Diagram
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/9836/text5029jb0.png
  • [tex]\tau[/tex] - torque of wheel
  • [tex]R[/tex] - radius of wheel
  • [tex]f_k[/tex] - force due to kinetic friction

Question
Is the translational acceleration of the wheel independent of the torque when the wheel is slipping? That is, if the torque is increased, will [tex]f_k[/tex] increase?

My attempt (Not necessarily correct)

Additional variables:
  • [tex]u_k[/tex] - coefficient of kinetic friction between floor and wheel
  • [tex]N[/tex] - normal force
  • [tex]m[/tex] - mass of wheel
  • [tex]g[/tex] - acceleration due to gravity

[tex]N = mg[/tex] (since it's on a flat surface)
[tex]f_k = u_k N = u_k m g[/tex]

[tex]\tau[/tex] does not appear in the equation, so [tex]f_k[/tex] is independent of torque. No matter how much the torque is increased, [tex]f_k[/tex] will not increase if the wheel slips.

Thanks for reading through my question,
David

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, sure. If the frictional force is purely due to kinetic friction, it's only dependent on the normal force and independent of torque.

Okay, thank you very much for answering. My intuition told me otherwise, so I wanted to verify my answer.

Your intuition probably told you otherwise because if the wheel is not slipping then you are dealing with static friction which is very dependent on the applied force. Even if it is slipping kinetic friction is only an approximate model. Don't dis your intuition too much.

Last edited:

1. What is rolling motion with slipping?

Rolling motion with slipping is a type of motion in which an object, such as a wheel or ball, moves while also experiencing sliding or slipping on its surface. This is in contrast to pure rolling motion, where there is no slipping and the object rotates smoothly without any sliding.

2. What causes slipping in rolling motion?

Slipping in rolling motion is caused by a difference in the speed of the object's rotation and its linear motion. This can be due to external forces, such as friction or an uneven surface, or it can be caused by the object's own angular momentum.

3. How is rolling motion with slipping different from pure rolling motion?

In pure rolling motion, there is no slipping and the object's rotation and linear motion are synchronized. In rolling motion with slipping, there is a difference in speed between the object's rotation and linear motion, resulting in sliding or slipping.

4. What are some real-life examples of rolling motion with slipping?

Some examples of rolling motion with slipping include a car driving on a wet or icy road, a basketball bouncing on a court, or a skateboard rolling on a rough surface.

5. How is rolling motion with slipping important in science and engineering?

Understanding rolling motion with slipping is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as designing vehicles with tires that can grip different surfaces, studying the movement of objects in sports, and analyzing the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.