1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling Motion

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    Hi. I have a problem about rolling motion. Suppose that I have a large hollow cylinder. A smaller solid cylinder is embedded inside the larger hollow cylinder.
    When I positioned the cylinder on a flat ramp like the picture below:
    The cylinder will start oscillating back and forth as the weight of the extra mass provide a torque, causing the cylinder to rotate. My question is, suppose that the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] initially was [tex]\pi/4[/tex] before the cylinder is released and start rolling, how can I calculate the time it takes before the [tex]\theta[/tex] reaches a value of [tex]\pi[/tex] (when the extra mass is directly above the point P)?

If I figured out the function of angular acceleration in terms of angular displacement, what will I get when I integrate the function of angular acceleration in respect to angular displacement, since the value of angular acceleration is always changing as [tex]\theta[/tex] changes.

I know that there’s a formula relating [tex]\alpha\times\theta[/tex]:

Does it mean that if I integrate:
    [tex]\int_ {\pi/4}^{\pi} \alpha d\theta[/tex]
    Will I get the value of [tex]0.5\times\psi_t^2[/tex] when [tex]\theta[/tex] is [tex]\pi[/tex]? (with the assumption that the value of [tex]\psi_0[/tex] initially is 0 rad/s)

If that’s true, then I can figured out the average angular acceleration to calculate the time it takes for the extra mass to travel from [tex]\pi/4[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex]. Is that right?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted