1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling motion

1. Feb 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform sphere rolls down a 30 degree incline θ from height h. Initially, the solid is at rest. Find the acceleration for the center of the mass of the solid.

I am not sure where to start with this problem. I started with the energy formulas, but I am not sure how to find the acceleration of the center of mass from there. I just need a guide on what formulas or setup to use, thanks!

2. Relevant equations
    Translational and rotational motion equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    K_i=mghsin30
    K_f=1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2

then I solved for v:
    v=radical(10/7*ghsin30)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, physikx,

The potential energy is mgh (h is the height of the (slope). Correct your result for v.

V is the speed of the CM at the end of the slope. Find the length travelled, and use the relation s=v^2/(2a) to determine the acceleration of the CM.

ehild

4. Feb 1, 2012 #3
    Hey ehid,

Thank you so much for the help! I was able to setup the problem and get the answer. I really appreciate the guidance.

Peace

5. Feb 1, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook