1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling motion

1. Mar 25, 2005 #1
    I know that because of the rolling constraint, V(cm)=R*w [w=omega]. Also, if I want to find the velocity of particle i, i can sum V(cm) and V(i, relative to the center of mass). But how do I determine V(i, rel)? For example, if I am given the speed and radius of a wheel, how fast is a point at the very front edge of the wheel going? I keep trying to use these equations, but I keep coming up with 2wR, which I know is the velocity for the TOP of the wheel.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that the velocity of a particle relative to the cm is a vector whose magnitude is given by [itex]\omega R[/itex] and whose direction is tangent to the wheel. So, if the velocity of the cm is [itex]V \hat{x}[/itex], then the velocity of a point at the front edge relative to the cm is [itex]-V \hat{y}[/itex]. The velocity relative to the ground of that point is [itex]V \hat{x} -V\hat{y}[/itex], giving a speed of [itex]\sqrt{2} V = \sqrt{2} \omega R[/itex].

4. Mar 25, 2005 #3
    ah-ha!

thank you! so, if i wanted to know the velocity of a point at a more arbitrary location, i would have to use trigonometry, right?

5. Mar 25, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Right. You'd have to add the two velocities as vectors, which will involve a bit of trig.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?