Solve Rolling and Yoyo Problems: Answers Inside

• Thread starter modymaxx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rolling
In summary, two doctors experienced a sudden change in the level of friction between the floor and the tires of their cars, causing the cars to slide. One doctor lost control of their car while driving on black ice, while the other lost control of their car while driving on a surface that was almost frictionless.
modymaxx
hi everybody I have two questions releted to rolling motion and I want the answer for these questions if you can please

the first problem:
when a cylinder rolling in surface which has friction and suddenly the friction gone and the surface become frictionless.
The question is will the cylinder keep rolling? or will it slide (moving in liner velocity only)?

Another problem releted to yoyo problems

If there is yoyo falls from certain height and while it falls there is some kind of rolling without slipping then suddenly the thread of the yoyo is cut and the yoyo falls in frictionless surface

The question is will the yoyo move while it's in the graund? or will it stay in it's place and just rutate in its place? if your answer is it will rotate in the same place will it rotate forever ?

I hope you understand my questions and I hope you answer me neerly

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what do YOU think? Unless you describe your thinking and what confuses you we cannot provide much help.

ammm
there are two things I think about it the first one is the cylinder will rotate for a while then it will just slide but the problem here is the Newton first low said if there is no external force that means the object will stay as it is (if it roll it will keep rolling)
but also we know that the only cause of rotation it the friction so if there is no friction
the segma torqe will be equal to zero so how can it rotate ?

As I thought you have no answer for this problem

modymaxx said:
ammm
there are two things I think about it the first one is the cylinder will rotate for a while then it will just slide but the problem here is the Newton first low said if there is no external force that means the object will stay as it is (if it roll it will keep rolling)
but also we know that the only cause of rotation it the friction so if there is no friction
the segma torqe will be equal to zero so how can it rotate ?
Torque is required to change the rotation. If it's already rotating (as it rolls), then it will remain rotating if there's no friction to slow the rotation.

modymaxx said:
As I thought you have no answer for this problem
Impatient, are we?

so as I understood from you it will keep rolling forever?
if that was your answer what do you say about the main thing in rotation which is the friction? if it keep rotating that means the friction is not Required for rotation motion ? so we can say that the ring (for example) can rotate or roll in frictionless surface.

thank you

modymaxx said:
so as I understood from you it will keep rolling forever?
What would stop it?
if that was your answer what do you say about the main thing in rotation which is the friction?
What do you mean?
if it keep rotating that means the friction is not Required for rotation motion ?
If something is already rolling, why would you need friction to maintain it?

can we prove that in experiment?

modymaxx said:
can we prove that in experiment?
Can you remove all friction?

NASA has a device that works on making the force of gravity is equal to zero ,so we don't have force of gravity and we can make the room empty ( without air ) so we don't have air resistance
for that we can get segma of force equal to zero:wink:

modymaxx said:
NASA has a device that works on making the force of gravity is equal to zero
Really? Or do you must mean 'weightless' as in free fall? Gravity doesn't go away.

what I mean you can ignore the force of gravity

and that device can helps you to do that:smile:

modymaxx said:
what I mean you can ignore the force of gravity
For a short while. Not forever.

That short while is more than enough to prove that:smile:

modymaxx said:
if it keep rotating that means the friction is not Required for rotation motion ?
Quite so. Friction is usually involved in establishing rotation. If there is ongoing acceleration, e.g. rolling up or down an inclined plane, friction is likely to play a role in continually adapting the rotation rate so that rolling is maintained. But if a ball is rolling on a flat plane, no losses, there is no angular acceleration, so no continuing need for friction to maintain a rolling state.

Thank you very much
I got it but really what make me confused that I heard same story which happened
to two of my doctors which that when they drove their cars suddnely they drove in black ice (Almost to be frictionless surface) their cars slid and they lost the control of their cars​

Last edited by a moderator:
modymaxx said:
Thank you very much
I got it but really what make me confused that I heard same story which happened
to two of my doctors which that when they drove their cars suddnely they drove in black ice (Almost to be frictionless surface) their cars slid and they lost the control of their cars​
Losing control on ice means that you are unable to produce a force when you need one. That includes slowing down, cornering, and maintaining a constant speed up or down a slope. So long as they tried to go at constant speed in a dead straight line on a level surface the tyres would have stayed in rolling contact and they would not have been aware of their loss of control, but that very rarely happens in driving.

1. How can I solve rolling and yoyo problems?

To solve rolling and yoyo problems, it is important to first understand the basic principles of physics such as torque, friction, and center of mass. Then, you can apply these principles to analyze the specific problem at hand and come up with a solution.

2. What are some common mistakes people make when solving rolling and yoyo problems?

One common mistake is not properly accounting for friction and its effects on the motion of the rolling or yoyo object. Another mistake is not considering the shape and size of the object, which can affect its center of mass and therefore its motion.

3. How can I determine the center of mass for a rolling or yoyo object?

The center of mass for a rolling or yoyo object can be determined by finding the average position of all the mass in the object. This can be done by dividing the object into smaller, more manageable shapes and finding the center of mass for each shape. Then, by finding the weighted average of these individual centers of mass, you can determine the overall center of mass for the object.

4. What factors can affect the motion of a rolling or yoyo object?

The motion of a rolling or yoyo object can be affected by factors such as the surface it is rolling on, the shape and size of the object, the force used to propel it, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving rolling and yoyo problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications for solving rolling and yoyo problems. For example, engineers may use these principles to design better wheels for vehicles, or to improve the performance of yoyo toys. Additionally, understanding these principles can also help in sports such as bowling, billiards, or curling.