Exploring Friction & Acceleration in a Cylinder System

In summary, the system in the attached file includes a torsional spring in a cylinder which produces torque and friction leading to rotation. The equation Ffriction * R = I * α (1) is used to find the angular acceleration, but there is a question about the contribution of friction from the small wheels on the wagon to the linear acceleration. The assignment suggests neglecting the angular inertia of the wheels, but there is also the option of assuming a frictionless and wheel-less wagon.
aaaa202
Consider the system on the attached file. I did an assignment with it, which made me think a lot.
So the spring like thing in the cylinder is a torsional spring, which when released produces a certain torque round the cylinder making it rotate. But that creates a friction and assuming a high enough coefficient of friction it will start to roll. One then had to assume that:
Ffriction * R = I * α (1)
To find the angular acceleration. Writing up the equations for the linear acceleration this was possible to find. However! Is (1) really correct? Because what about the friction in the small wheels of the wagon. Don't their friction also contribute to the linear acceleration of the system yet not the angular?

Attachments

• Unavngivet.png
    Unavngivet.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
small wheels on wagon. Don't their friction also contribute to the linear acceleration of the system yet not the angular?
I think you're supposed to assume the wheels of the wagon have zero angular inertia, and that the cylinder driven wagon is free of any losses of energy. You could also assume the wagon has no wheels and is frictionless.

aaaa202 said:
Is (1) really correct?
Try to find another equation that relates to friction force.

Last edited:
Yes okay, the assignment actually stated that explicitly, but I didn't know how to interpret it. Specifically it said, that the angular intertia was so little it could be neglected. Ahh well. But won't they always contribute with the same force to drive the linear movement as the big, heavy cylinder?
EDIT: No wait, of course they won't - I get it now - ty so much :)

1. What is friction and acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity.

2. How is friction measured?

Friction is typically measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force required to overcome friction and move an object.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction in a cylinder system?

The amount of friction in a cylinder system can be affected by factors such as the type of surface materials, the weight and shape of the object, and the amount of force applied.

4. How does friction affect the acceleration of an object in a cylinder system?

Friction can act to slow down or oppose the motion of an object, thus reducing its acceleration. This is why smooth and lubricated surfaces can result in faster acceleration.

5. Can friction be beneficial in a cylinder system?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, friction can be used to control the speed and direction of an object, as well as to prevent slipping or sliding. It is also necessary for certain mechanisms to function properly, such as brakes in a car.