Calculating Rolling Torque for Robot Motors

In summary: Which is highly unlikely. Again, see the links I provided.In summary, the conversation is about sizing two electrical motors to accelerate a 10 kg robot on rubber wheels, standing on two legs, from 0 to 20 km/h in 2 seconds. The weight of the robot, coefficient of friction, and the tires' radii are given. The conversation discusses the necessary torque and RPM for each motor, as well as the calculation for torque and power required. The experts suggest using variable torque motors and provide equations and graphs to help with the calculations.
Physic_fan
Hi,
I have a question about one of my project involved 2electrical motors that I have to size to accelerate a Robot on robber wheels.
there are a lot of confusing stuff in the internet that make me give up.:(
so here it is:
the weight of Robot is 10 kg, standing on two legs that has 2 robber wheels 0.02m Radios
under each leg running on Asphalt from standing to reach 20km/h in 2 Sec and continue that speed,
how much torque and RPM I need on the shaft of each motor?
**let say coefficient of friction constant is 0.5 .

my calculation for this is below ,correct me if i am wrong.
Fr=u*mg so Fr=(0.5)*(10kg*9.8)=49 N
T=Fr*R -> T=49 * 0.02m= 0.98 Nm /2 =0.49 Nm on each motor
can anybody help me to finish this calculations?
thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
The torque you calculated is the max torque you can apply to wheels via motor. Exceeding this torque would cause wheel slip.
But I think this isn't what you require! :P

20KM/h in 2 sec...that means an acceleration = 5.5 m/sec^2.
Now , angular acceleration = 5.5 / r = 275 rad/sec^2
Now if you know the inertia of the wheels you are using...you can calculate torque required...
T = I x ang. acc. (I = moment of inertia of wheels)
This T will be the starting torque you require to accelerate the robo. But since you want later a constant speed to be attained then you probably need variable torque motor.

Note: Use wheels which are like discs then you can easily calculate the moment of inertia.

I don't know if I am 100% correct above but this was fun and wanted to help you.

The only thing that will stay constant in your powertrain is power (less minor efficiency losses). So the power of your motor (Pm) will be the same as the power of your wheel (Pw) and the same as the power of your robot (Pr). So (all in SI units):

Pm = Pw = Pr

Tmwm = Twww = Frvr

Where: P is power, T is torque, w is rpm, F is the force at the tire contact patch and v is the robot speed.

What you need to know is Fr which cannot exceed the friction force (i.e. the one you calculated in your post). The one you actually need, depends on three things: Aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance and the inertia force due to your robot's acceleration.

Please, read the theory (at the bottom of the page) on http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" . It uses cars as examples, but everything applies to your robot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi R POWER and jack action, but i have a few questions:
1) R-POWER, in the equation T=I*alpha what is I that your going to take. Because it's not the inertia of the wheels that matters here but inertia of the robot mass which is in translational motion.
2) Jack-action. In your case what the power of the robot is F*v. But what F should I take to size my motor? Is it only friction force? neglecting drag, what can inertia force be taken as in this case? If it is F=M*a, then what is "a" here?

R-POWER, in the equation T=I*alpha what is I that your going to take. Because it's not the inertia of the wheels that matters here but inertia of the robot mass which is in translational motion.
Initially, you need torque equal to F*r (where F is static friciton) in order to overcome static friction. Once the robo is in motion, the coefficient of dynamic friction will come into account.
So now total torque required to accelerate to desired velocity...
T = I*alpha + (Dynamic Fricition * r)
Here I will be of wheels only...
once you have reached 20 Km/h, the torque you require to maintain constant speed is just = Dynamic friction * r
Thats why you need a variable torque motor.

koolraj09 said:
2) Jack-action. In your case what the power of the robot is F*v. But what F should I take to size my motor? Is it only friction force? neglecting drag, what can inertia force be taken as in this case? If it is F=M*a, then what is "a" here?

[PLAIN]http://hpwizard.com/images/accelerating-forces.GIF

These are all the forces acting on you robot.

Weight: [tex]mg[/tex]
Force at the tire (from your motors): [tex]F_t = F_{tr} + F_{tf}[/tex]
Rolling Resistance: [tex]F_r = F_{rr} + F_{rf} = f_r mg[/tex]
Aerodynamic Drag force: [tex]F_D = 0.5 \rho C_{D} Av^2[/tex]
Inertia force: [tex]ma[/tex]

For now, ignore the aerodynamic lift ([tex]F_L = F_{Lr} + F_{Lf}[/tex]).

They are related to each other this way:

[tex]F_t = F_{r} + F_{D} + ma[/tex]
[tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DAv^2 + ma[/tex]

[tex]F_t[/tex] is the force you are looking for to determine the torque at the wheel.

At very low speed with no acceleration:

[tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DA(0)^2 + m(0)[/tex]
[tex]F_t = f_r mg[/tex]

At constant speed:

[tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DAv^2 + m(0)[/tex]
[tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DAv^2[/tex]

At low speed with acceleration:

[tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DA(0)^2 + ma[/tex]
[tex]F_t = f_r mg + ma[/tex]

In short: [tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DAv^2 + ma[/tex]

The acceleration and speed depends on your wishes. But, no matter what, there is a maximum on [tex]F_t[/tex]. Either traction wise or power wise:

Traction wise:
[tex]F_{t max} = \mu mg[/tex]

Power wise:
[tex]F_{t max} = \frac{P_{max}}{v}[/tex]

The next image shows those limits (traction limit and max power limit). This gives you the maximum acceleration possible at a given speed. When acceleration reaches 0, then you have attained your maximum speed.

[PLAIN]http://hpwizard.com/images/available-power.GIF

So anything below and to the left of those lines are possible combinations of speed and acceleration of your robot. You can actually plot this graph for your robot on http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" . Read the theory at the bottom of the page for detailed info.

R Power said:
once you have reached 20 Km/h, the torque you require to maintain constant speed is just = Dynamic friction * r

This is not true, unless it happens that you need all your friction to fight the drag and rolling resistance ([tex]F_t = f_r mg + 0.5 \rho C_DAv^2[/tex]).

hey jack action and r power that really helped a lot. Thanks very much.

[tex]
F_r = F_{rr} + F_{rf} = f_r mg
[/tex]

[tex]
f_r mg
[/tex]

thanks for all, but at the end can you explain the components of above formula, and where they come from?

Physic_fan said:
[tex]
f_r mg
[/tex]

thanks for all, but at the end can you explain the components of above formula, and where they come from?

It's the rolling resistance. [tex]f_r[/tex] is the http://hpwizard.com/tire-friction-coefficient.html" .

1. What is rolling torque and how does it differ from regular torque?

Rolling torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It differs from regular torque in that it is specifically applied to objects that are rolling, such as wheels or cylinders, rather than objects that are fixed in place.

2. How is rolling torque calculated?

The formula for calculating rolling torque is: rolling torque = radius of the object * force applied tangentially. This means that the further away the force is applied from the center of the object, the greater the rolling torque will be.

3. What factors affect rolling torque?

The main factors that affect rolling torque are the force applied, the radius of the object, and the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on. The weight and shape of the object can also play a role.

4. How does rolling torque affect an object's motion?

Rolling torque causes an object to rotate around an axis, which in turn affects its motion. The direction and magnitude of the rolling torque will determine the direction and speed of the object's rotation.

5. What are some real-world applications of rolling torque?

Rolling torque is used in many everyday objects, such as wheels on a car or bike, gears in machinery, and even rolling suitcases. It is also important in sports, such as bowling, where rolling torque is used to control the direction and speed of the ball's motion.