How can I find the acceleration of the plank

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a plank resting on two parallel cylinders and being pulled with a horizontal force. The question asks for the acceleration of the plank and the rolling cylinders, and the discussion covers the forces acting on the objects and the application of Newton's laws. It is determined that the total translational inertia of the system, including the moment of inertia of the cylinders, must be used to calculate the acceleration. The conversation also addresses the misconception that the acceleration of the plank can be found using only the applied force.
kash25
Hi,

If I have a plank (mass M) resting on two identical parallel cylinders (mass m, radius R) and I pull the plank with a horizontal force F (no slipping between cylinders and floor nor between plank and cylinders), what happens? How can I find the acceleration of the plank and the rolling cylinders? Why DOESN'T a = F/M give the acceleration of the plank AND the tangential acceleration of the cylinders?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
So by saying no slipping, the cylinders must begin to roll as the plank is pulled?

If I'm right here, you need to consider the system as a whole. That means in f=ma, you need to be using the total translational inertia of the system, rather than just the component masses. So of course the masses are present, but as the cylinders are rolling you need to convert their moment of inertia to translational inertia by using I/R², so a = F/(M+2m+2I/R²). Where I is the moment of inertia of the rollers, which for a cylinder is mR²/2, so this conveniently reduces to a=F/(M+3m).

Unless I'm mistaken, this should give the acceleration of both the plank, and the tangential acceleration of the cylinders.

Bob Smith said:
Unless I'm mistaken...
I'm afraid you are.

kash25 said:
If I have a plank (mass M) resting on two identical parallel cylinders (mass m, radius R) and I pull the plank with a horizontal force F (no slipping between cylinders and floor nor between plank and cylinders), what happens? How can I find the acceleration of the plank and the rolling cylinders?
Analyze the problem in the usual manner. Start by identifying the forces acting on the plank and the cylinders. (F is not the only force!) Draw free body diagrams for each object.

Apply Newton's 2nd law for translation and rotation to plank and cylinders. (How does the acceleration of the plank relate to the acceleration of the cylinders?)
Why DOESN'T a = F/M give the acceleration of the plank AND the tangential acceleration of the cylinders?
Why should it? To find the acceleration of the plank (or any object) you need the net force acting on it. Besides the applied force F, what other forces act on the plank?

Doc Al said:
I'm afraid you are.
Ah yes, I'm thinking as if the plank was connected to the cylinders as if they were axles, in the situation described the plank would eventually roll off the top of the cylinders as they would only be traveling half as fast?

Actually I've also assumed that the cylinders are on the ground, but as the OP said rolling and not rotating, I'm hoping that was a correct assumption to make.

Although you are correct, for the cylinders to roll, there must be friction between the cylinders and the plank, and the ground.

My excuse is I was tired. :p

1. How do I calculate the acceleration of a plank?

The acceleration of a plank can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What are the units of acceleration for a plank?

The units of acceleration for a plank depend on the units of velocity and time used in the calculation. If velocity is measured in meters per second (m/s) and time is measured in seconds (s), then the units of acceleration would be meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. Can I use a formula to find the acceleration of a plank?

Yes, there are several formulas that can be used to find the acceleration of a plank, depending on the given information. These include the formula mentioned in question 1, as well as other formulas such as a = (2d) / t^2 (where d is the distance traveled) and a = F/m (where F is the net force acting on the plank and m is its mass).

4. How can I measure the acceleration of a plank in real-life?

To measure the acceleration of a plank in real-life, you will need a timer, a measuring device (such as a ruler or tape measure), and a way to record the data (such as a data logger or pen and paper). First, set up the plank in a horizontal position and mark the starting point and ending point. Release the plank and start the timer. Measure the time it takes for the plank to travel the distance and use the formula in question 1 to calculate the acceleration.

5. Can the acceleration of a plank change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of a plank can change over time. This can happen if there is a change in the net force acting on the plank, if the mass of the plank changes, or if there is a change in the surface the plank is moving on. Other factors, such as air resistance, can also affect the acceleration of a plank over time.