Does Friction Always Act Upward on an Ascending Cylinder?

In summary, the direction of frictional force acting on a cylinder while descending an inclined plane will be up the inclined, as it creates a torque that increases the angular velocity. When ascending, the frictional force will also be up the inclined, as it creates a torque that opposes the decrease in angular velocity caused by the cylinder gaining kinetic energy. The direction of frictional force is always perpendicular to the plane and is determined by the direction of angular acceleration and torque.
arpan251089
A cylinder rolls up an inclined plane, reaches some height, and then rolls down. The directions of frictional force acting on the cylinder while descending will be up the inclined. But what will be the direction of frictional force when the cylinder is ascending??
UP or DOWN

Well, I think the answer must be down the inclined. But the book says it will be up.
The reason given in the book is
mgsinθ acts in downward direction in both cases. So the sense of angular acceleration should also be same in both cases. So friction always acts upwards

Pls help if anyone understands the reason.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

Very simply put, friction always acts against the movement. Therefore, if the object moves upward, then friction will be acting downwards. Secondly, friction, in classical physics, will always be parallel to the plane of movement.

Cheers

Are you sure its not talking about the normal force?

As for friction, I am not sure why its asking for it. As there is no work done by it (in this idealied case).

Hi arpan251089! :smile:
arpan251089 said:
A cylinder rolls up an inclined plane, reaches some height, and then rolls down. The directions of frictional force acting on the cylinder while descending will be up the inclined. But what will be the direction of frictional force when the cylinder is ascending??
UP or DOWN

Well, I think the answer must be down the inclined. But the book says it will be up.
The reason given in the book is
mgsinθ acts in downward direction in both cases. So the sense of angular acceleration should also be same in both cases. So friction always acts upwards

Pls help if anyone understands the reason.

Sorry, but nobody is reading this question right. :redface:

This is a question about circular motion and force, not linear.

If there was no friction (if the slope was ice), then the axis of the cylinder would accelerate down the slope (or decelerate up it), but it would keep the same angular velocity.

So you should ask yourself:

i] what is the angular acceleration of the cylinder (either going up or down)

ii] how many forces are there producing a torque which can affect this? :wink:

I agree you tiny-tim and fatra2

@fatra2
Yes you are right that friction acts opposing the velocity and not applied forces. But here we are talking abt angular motion and not linear motion. This cannot be applied in rolling motion. See the reason below.

@tiny-tim
Thanks. After thinking for sometime i came to a conclusion.

See friction acts in upward direction while descending. This is 100% correct. Due to this a torque acts on the cylinder such that it rolls down with INCREASING angular velocity.
But when the cylinder is ascending, it will be supplied with kinetic energy[Rotational] which will become zero at the top. Thus angular velocity will decrease. This means friction will try to exert torque in a direction to oppose the angular velocity. And for this the friction again will have to act in upward direction

Assuming this is a solid cylinder of uniform density,

given:

a = acceleration
af = acceleration component due to friction force
ag = acceleration component due to gravity
f = friction
r = radius of cylinder
t = torque
θ = angle of plane
ω = angular speed
α = angular acceleration
i = angular inertia

a = α / r

for a solid cylinder, i = 1/2 m r2

for the downhill rolling case:

m a = m g sin(θ) - f

t = f r = i α = 1/2 m r2 (a / r)

f = t / r = 1/2 m a

m a = m g sin(θ) - 1/2 m a
a = 2/3 g sin(θ)

f = 1/3 m g sin(θ)

ag = g sin(θ)
af = 1/3 g sin(θ)
a = ag - af = 2/3 g sin(θ)

For the uphill case, the linear and angualr velocities differ, but not the linear and angular accelerations, so even in the uphill case, the angular deceleration generates a downhill force on to the surface of the plane, opposed by an uphill friction force.

In this case, the uphill af remains = 1/3 g sin(θ), opposed by the component of gravity paralled to the plane = g sin(θ), and the linear rate of acceleration remains = 2/3 g sin(θ).

In both cases, the friction force is uphill, = 1/3 m g sin(θ), extending the distance rolled uphill because of the relationship to angular inertia, and decreasing the rate of downhill acceleration.

other cases:

For a solid sphere, i = 2/5 m r2, af = 2/7 g sin(θ)
For a solid cylinder, i = 1/2 m r2, af = 1/3 g sin(θ)
For a hollow sphere, i = 2/3 m r2, af = 2/5 g sin(θ)
For a hollow cylinder, i = m r2, af = 1/2 g sin(θ)

Last edited:
Hi arpan251089! :smile:
arpan251089 said:
See friction acts in upward direction while descending. This is 100% correct. Due to this a torque acts on the cylinder such that it rolls down with INCREASING angular velocity.
But when the cylinder is ascending, it will be supplied with kinetic energy[Rotational] which will become zero at the top. Thus angular velocity will decrease. This means friction will try to exert torque in a direction to oppose the angular velocity. And for this the friction again will have to act in upward direction

Yes, that's right :smile:, but you can put it more simply …

linear acceleration (of the c.o.m.) is always downhill,

so the angular acceleration must also always be "downhill" (obviously, that needs defining a little better :rolleyes:),

and the only torque about the c.o.m. comes from the friction, so that must be uphill. :wink:

What is "Rolling Without Slipping"?

"Rolling Without Slipping" is a term used to describe the motion of an object, such as a wheel, where it is both rolling and sliding without any slipping or skidding. This means that the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on remains stationary.

What is the difference between "Rolling Without Slipping" and "Pure Rolling"?

The terms "Rolling Without Slipping" and "Pure Rolling" are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between them. "Rolling Without Slipping" refers to the motion of an object where it is both rolling and sliding without slipping, while "Pure Rolling" refers to the motion of an object where it is only rolling without any sliding or slipping.

How is "Rolling Without Slipping" different from "Rolling with Slipping"?

In "Rolling Without Slipping", the point of contact between the object and the surface remains stationary, while in "Rolling with Slipping", the point of contact is moving. "Rolling Without Slipping" is considered to be a more efficient and stable form of motion compared to "Rolling with Slipping".

What are some real-life examples of "Rolling Without Slipping"?

Some common examples of "Rolling Without Slipping" include the motion of a bicycle wheel, a car tire, and a rolling ball on a flat surface. It is also seen in the movement of rolling pins, wheels on shopping carts, and even in the motion of a person walking or running.

What factors affect the ability of an object to "Roll Without Slipping"?

The primary factor that affects an object's ability to "Roll Without Slipping" is the coefficient of friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on. Other factors include the shape and size of the object, the surface it is rolling on, and the speed at which it is rolling.