1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rolling without slipping

1. Nov 14, 2005 #1
    A block of a certain material begins to slide on an inclined plane when the plane is inclined to an angle of 14.57°. If a solid cyclinder is fashioned from the same material, what will be the maximum angle at which it will roll without slipping on the plane?

I really have no idea where to start on this problem since the only given is the angle. I know that the moment of inertia of a cylinder is (1/2)MR^2 if thats needed at all. Any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2005 #2

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

In what case does the cylinder slip (hint: friction)?
    Another hint: total acceleration is the same as the tangential acceleration if there's no slipping.

(Would you happen to have the correct answer?)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  4. Nov 14, 2005 #3
    I'm having trouble with a similar problem.

I tried finding the coeff of friction; got an arctan14.7 ...

Then I set up the dynamics equations of the cylinder, taking the center of mass as the center of rotation; Wx - friction = ma

And then I put in no slipping condition i.e a = (angular acceleration) X R.

I substitude (angular acceleration) with the relevant expression using Newton's second law in angular form.

I solve and then I get a very unlikely value of 89 degrees. Where am I wrong.

5. Nov 14, 2005 #4

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

According to my calculations you should get a plain tan (not arctan).

The rest sounds, if I understood everything correctly, fine.

6. Nov 14, 2005 #5
    Oh right. Yea, tan 14.7 degrees. Thanks.
    okay now i get 38 degrees... dat bout right?

7. Nov 14, 2005 #6
    I see how to do it now. Thank you

8. Nov 15, 2005 #7

Päällikkö

Homework Helper

If you mean the problem in this thread (with the angle actually being 14.57), I get the same answer.

No problem :smile:.

9. Nov 15, 2005 #8
    romured question

i think that it's a romured question in which the answer is 14.57 degree because friction doesnt pertain to shape of the block or how much is the surface of that
    i think the answer is that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?