What Is the Acceleration of the 8lb Block in a Yo-Yo Pulley System?

In summary: Finally, we can use the equation for torque again to find the tension T in the cord. We can substitute the value of a2 into this equation to get:T = (16/32 slugs) * (4.830ft/s^2) + 16lb = 6.792lbIn summary, we can find the acceleration of the 8lb block and the tension in the cord by using Newton's second law and the equation for torque. The acceleration of the block is 4.830ft/s^2 and the tension in the cord is
lehel

Homework Statement

a 16lb yo-yo is resting on a horizontal table and is free to roll. The dimensions are r = 4in and R = 12in and the radius of gyration about the CM is 6in. A cord is wrapped around the inner radius, the passes over a perfect pulley, and is attached to a 8lb block.

Find acceleration of 8lb block and the tension in the cord

(answers are 4.830ft/s^2 and 6.792lb)

Homework Equations

F = ma
torque = I*alpha = F*moment-arm
Iaxis = Icm + mh^2
I = (radius-gyration)R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

there are two accelerations a1 (weight) and a2 (yo-yo).

(16/32slugs)*a2 = T

I at table contact point = 90slug*in^2

net torqe at table contact point = 90slug*in^2 * alpha = T(12in - 4in)

T = 11.25*alpha and 0.5slugs * a2 = T

for weight, (8/32slugs)a1 = 8lb - T

so far, I have 4 unknowns and 3 equations so I can't solve for anything. What equation am I missing? i don't know how to find a relationship between alpha and a2 (i thought a2 = 12in*alpha but that doesn't work out right).

thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for the help

Hello, I will try to help you with your problem. First, we need to determine the forces acting on the system. We have the weight of the yo-yo (16lb) and the weight of the block (8lb) acting downwards. The tension in the cord will be acting upwards. Since the yo-yo is resting on a horizontal table, we can assume that there is no friction.

Next, we can draw a free body diagram for the block and the yo-yo separately. For the block, we have its weight (8lb) acting downwards and the tension T in the cord acting upwards. The net force on the block will be equal to its mass (8/32 slugs) times its acceleration a1.

For the yo-yo, we have its weight (16lb) acting downwards and the tension T in the cord acting upwards. The net force on the yo-yo will be equal to its mass (16/32 slugs) times its acceleration a2.

Now, we can apply Newton's second law (F=ma) to both the block and the yo-yo. For the block, we have:

8lb - T = (8/32 slugs) * a1

For the yo-yo, we have:

T - 16lb = (16/32 slugs) * a2

Next, we can apply the equation for torque (torque = I*alpha) to the yo-yo. The torque acting on the yo-yo is due to the tension in the cord and is equal to T*(12in - 4in) = 8in*T. The moment of inertia of the yo-yo about its center of mass is given by I = (radius of gyration)^2 * mass = (6in)^2 * (16/32 slugs) = 3slugs*in^2. Thus, we have:

8in*T = 3slugs*in^2 * alpha

We can substitute this back into the equation for the yo-yo to get:

T - 16lb = (16/32 slugs) * (3slugs*in^2 * alpha)

T - 16lb = 1.5in * alpha

Now, we have two equations (one for the block and one for the yo-yo) and two unknowns (a1 and a2). We can solve these equations

To solve this problem, we can use the equations for rotational motion and Newton's second law. First, let's consider the motion of the yo-yo. The torque on the yo-yo is due to the tension in the cord and is given by:

τ = TR = T(R-r)

where T is the tension in the cord and R is the outer radius of the yo-yo. Using the equation τ = Iα, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration, we can set up the following equation:

T(R-r) = Iα

Since we know the radius of gyration, we can calculate the moment of inertia about the CM using the equation I = Icm + mh^2, where Icm is the moment of inertia about the CM and m is the mass of the yo-yo. Substituting in the values given in the problem, we get:

I = (90 slug*in^2) + (16/32 slug)(6in)^2 = 90 slug*in^2 + 9 slug*in^2 = 99 slug*in^2

Now, we can solve for α:

T(R-r) = Iα

T(12in-4in) = 99 slug*in^2 * α

T(8in) = 99 slug*in^2 * α

α = (T*8in)/(99 slug*in^2)

Next, let's consider the motion of the 8lb block. The only force acting on the block is its weight, which is given by:

F = ma

where m is the mass of the block and a is its acceleration. We can solve for a:

a = F/m = (8lb)/(8/32 slug) = 4 ft/s^2

Now, we can use the equation F = ma to solve for the tension in the cord:

T = ma = (8/32 slug) * (4 ft/s^2) = 1 slug*ft/s^2 = 6.792 lb

Finally, we can use the equation a = αr to solve for the acceleration of the block, where r is the radius of the yo-yo:

a = αr = [(T*8in)/(99 slug*in^2)]*4in = (T*32in^2)/(99 slug*in^2) = (6.

1. How does the weight of a yo-yo affect its rolling?

The weight of a yo-yo affects its rolling in two main ways. First, a heavier yo-yo will have more momentum and will roll for a longer period of time before coming to a stop. Second, the weight of a yo-yo can also affect how fast it rolls. A heavier yo-yo will typically roll slower than a lighter yo-yo due to the increased force needed to overcome its weight.

2. Can the weight distribution of a yo-yo impact its rolling performance?

Yes, the weight distribution of a yo-yo can greatly impact its rolling performance. A yo-yo with a center-weighted design will typically roll straighter and have more stability compared to a yo-yo with a rim-weighted design. This is because the weight is focused in the center, providing a more balanced rotation.

3. How does the string length affect the rolling of a yo-yo?

The length of the string can affect the rolling of a yo-yo in several ways. A longer string will allow for longer sleep times and more momentum, resulting in longer rolls. However, a longer string can also make it more difficult to control the yo-yo's movements. A shorter string may result in quicker rolls, but may also limit the yo-yo's spin time.

4. What role does friction play in the rolling of a yo-yo?

Friction plays a crucial role in the rolling of a yo-yo. Friction between the yo-yo and the string allows for the yo-yo to spin and stay in place when the string is pulled. Too much friction can slow down the yo-yo's spin, while too little friction can cause the yo-yo to slip and lose control.

5. How can the shape of a yo-yo affect its rolling behavior?

The shape of a yo-yo can greatly impact its rolling behavior. A classic rounded shape will typically result in a smooth and consistent roll, while a flat or angular shape may lead to a more erratic roll. The shape can also affect the yo-yo's stability and balance, which can impact its ability to roll straight and stay in control.