Opera: How to View ALT Text for Posts

• Thread starter Hurkyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of text popups in the "New posts" page on certain internet browsers. The speakers mention using Opera and how the popups appear when hovering over the thread title, but not knowing how to trigger them. One speaker discovers that the popups appear when pointing outside of the text area in the margins of the cell. They also mention different experiences with popups on different browsers.
Hurkyl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I use Opera.

Sometimes, when looking at the "New posts" page, I get a little text popup (in the same style as the ALT text for images) that contains the first sentence or two of the posts. But, I can't figure out what I'm supposed to roll over to get the text. From where does it come?

Physics news on Phys.org
I use Opera as well, and I too would like to know why. It almost seems like it randomly happens to me.

Aha, I found it.

Apparently, it's the title of the table cell containing the link. It appears what you need to do is to point outside of the text area -- in other words, point into the margins of the cell. Any margin works; left, right, top, or bottom.

Ahh! Good find!

Hmm...in the more recent version of Safari on my laptop, I get those pop ups by hovering over the thread title, but on the older version on my office desktop, I don't get any pop ups (and no, I don't have pop up blocker on).

I get pop-ups by hovering over the thread title in Safari, Firefox, and Netscape.

1. What is ALT text in opera?

ALT text, also known as alternative text, is a brief description that is used to describe an image on a webpage. This text is read by screen readers and other assistive technologies to provide a description of the image to visually impaired users.

2. How do I view ALT text in Opera?

To view ALT text in Opera, you can simply hover your mouse over the image and the ALT text will appear in a small pop-up box. Alternatively, you can also right-click on the image and select "Inspect" to view the ALT text in the HTML code.

3. Why is it important to use ALT text in Opera?

Using ALT text in Opera is important because it makes your website more accessible to visually impaired users. It also helps with search engine optimization, as search engines use ALT text to understand the content of an image and rank it accordingly.

4. Can I customize the ALT text in Opera?

Yes, you can customize the ALT text in Opera. It is recommended to use descriptive and concise language that accurately describes the image.

5. What should I do if an image does not have ALT text in Opera?

If an image does not have ALT text in Opera, you can add it by editing the HTML code of the webpage. Simply add the "alt" attribute to the image tag and include a brief description of the image within the quotation marks.