Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roman numerals in Word 2013

1. Jun 24, 2016 #1
    Does anyone know how to place a capital Roman numeral in text using Word 2013. For example lead is a type-1 superconductor, but I wanted to use the capital Roman numeral one instead of the Arabic numeral. Perhaps it can be done from the keyboard, like certain Ascii characters?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What's wrong with a capital "I", "V", and "X" ?

4. Jun 24, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

5. Jun 25, 2016 #4
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll check out the free fonts link.

6. Jun 25, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Just use LaTeX

7. Jun 25, 2016 #6
    Not to sound too ignorant, but how do you implement LaTeX? Do you need special software on your computer? Does it come with Word 2013?

8. Jun 25, 2016 #7
    Actually, following phinds suggestion I tried the "Times New Roman" text in the insert menu, and used the capital "i". In that font there is a bar on top and bottom, and it looks pretty good, even if it's not the Roman numeral one.

9. Jun 25, 2016 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

10. Jun 25, 2016 #9
    rbelli, Thanks for the reference. I'm away on vacation till next week, so won't be able to try it till I return home. I might have some word processor on my notebook here, will have to check.

11. Jun 25, 2016 #10
    A little off topic for this thread, but is it possible for a thumb drive to become infected with a virus, when your computer gets hit with malware? My 12 year old XP Operating System computer had a ransomware attack several weeks ago, and I had one thumb drive connected. I took the computer off the web, and it seems to work fine for word processing, games, etc. I set the thumb drive aside, but have lots of pictures on it, that may not be available elsewhere.

12. Jun 25, 2016 #11

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Absolutely it is. Doesn't mean it WILL, if the computer gets infected but depending on the virus it might. Some of them specifically attack external storage drives (non-C drives) to help propagate themselves.

13. Jun 26, 2016 #12

rbelli1

Gold Member

If you want to try to recover anything from this thumb drive you will definitely want to make sure autoplay is off. The best idea is to use some non Windows OS to look at it. Bootable Linux images are easy to find.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted