Romantic Moment on the Brougham Bridge - William Rowan Hamilton

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary: And it was even more special because I had made a snowman for her and she loved it. :)In summary, Hamilton's wife was deeply moved by his flash of genius and he carved an equation into one of the stones on the Brougham Bridge. The couple had a romantic conversation that led up to the moment, but the conversation has never been recorded. The most memorable romantic moment for the author is the moment he took his wife to a special place and gave her a special gift.
Oh, that's very sweet Monique. He sounds like a great guy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Aww, that's really sweet Monique. :smile:

Well, I thought about it really hard because you'd think in all these years I'd have had at least one romantic date.

Nope, zero. :frown:

Ok, I'm REALLY depressed now. :frown:

Evo,

Something tells me you shag like a minx...

Jason said:
Evo,

:bugeye:

Does that mean what I think it means?

Originally posted by Evo:
Does that mean what I think it means?
To quote Austin Powers--my God Christi's got a fabulous body. And I bet she shags like a minx!

I thought you were just being plain rude.

Hmm.. I'm a sucker for these. 17; never had a gf. Yep. And sadly, that's from choice. I don't know why, but I like to wait.

Jason said:
To quote Austin Powers--my God Christi's got a fabulous body. And I bet she shags like a minx!
:rofl: I guessed correctly.

At least you got me out of my depression. :biggrin:

Knavish said:
Hmm.. I'm a sucker for these. 17; never had a gf. Yep. And sadly, that's from choice. I don't know why, but I like to wait.
It's better to wait. Filling your life with meaningless relationships isn't a good idea.

Evo,

I am hopefuly about to turn 38 in November. How old are you? Simple question...

Jason said:
Evo,

I am hopefuly about to turn 38 in November. How old are you? Simple question...
I have answered that at least twice already. :devil: I was 49 until my last birthday when I turned 28.

Zoobyshoe can confirm this.

Chère Evo: Your new photo is even sexier than the last one. Whew!

As always, I applaud your astute commentary and stinging prose. You rarely ever confuse the trees for the forest, and woe to those who would challenge your place in it.

Your posts purr with the lethal prowess of a tigress (eh, voilà, la tigresse dans le fôret). How could I not surrender? I read it again... and again. And between every word, one heard the slightest rustle in the leaves, in the wood, and in the wind. Deadly. Enigmatic. Engaging. C'était très sexy, bien sûr.

Nice. "Verb age." OH, VERY nice. All seriousness aside, I see you like to string theories along, and probably quite a few men and women, too. That's very sexy, you know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason said:
Chère Evo: Your new photo is even sexier than the last one. Whew!
My current avatar is my daughter The Evo Child. This is me as of this morning.

Attachments

• me_in_the_morninga[1].jpeg
    me_in_the_morninga[1].jpeg
    10 KB · Views: 452
Now that's romantic! :rofl:
Did you havea role as an extra in 'The Fifth Element?"

I'm 38 also, Jason. But I pronounce it twenty-eighteen. :wink:

My goodness, Evo! :eek: Can I get you a cup of coffee?

Huckleberry said:
Now that's romantic! :rofl:
Did you havea role as an extra in 'The Fifth Element?"
Now you know the real reason I'm all alone and have never had a romantic date. :frown:

Evo said:
My current avatar is my daughter The Evo Child. This is me as of this morning.
Evo, you should put yourself on the list for funniest member! :rofl: Also, with all the hunks you've known, who needs a specific romantic moment, hmm?

Evo,

You can tell me your fantasies, and I'll be strung like a theory. I would reciprocate in kind with real fantasies, or at least stories with many the wink and smiles, or at least many the kink and similies. But I would only want to do so if you were in bed...

In return: Pentrating thoughts, seeds of an idea, or the sticky, sweltering, and sweet bitterness of the lick of the lips at the halo between her thighs, and the lick of the lips deep in her heart in darkness? Well, yes, I would such a tale and then turn tail. But only if I can, tuck you...in...

Bon soir, et toutes les reveries douces et chaudes ("Good night to sweet, sultry dreams").

Evo said:
Now you know the real reason I'm all alone and have never had a romantic date. :frown:
Hey, I'm right there with ya. Pull up a chair at the late night Denny's table of loneliness. The company is good. The food is cheap. And the doors are always open. :wink: :smile:
By the end of your meal you'll be glad that you have as much as you do.

Jason said:
You can tell me your fantasies, and I'll be strung like a theory. I would reciprocate in kind with real fantasies, or at least stories with many the wink and smiles, or at least many the kink and similies. But I would only want to do so if you were in bed...

In return: Pentrating thoughts, seeds of an idea, or the sticky, sweltering, and sweet bitterness of the lick of the lips at the halo between her thighs, and the lick of the lips deep in her heart in darkness? Well, yes, I would such a tale and then turn tail. But only if I can, tuck you...in...

Bon soir, et toutes les reveries douces et chaudes ("Good night to sweet, sultry dreams").

sometimes there's a fine line between romantic and creepy. :bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
sometimes there's a fine line between romantic and creepy. :bugeye:
I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to be the first to say it. :shy:

I had a girl tell me that romantic was holding her hair back while she vomited in the toilet. I liked that girl.

Huckleberry said:
Hey, I'm right there with ya. Pull up a chair at the late night Denny's table of loneliness. The company is good. The food is cheap. And the doors are always open. :wink: :smile:
By the end of your meal you'll be glad that you have as much as you do.
Oooh, I could use a Grand Slam right about now. :tongue2: All I've got is a smelly dog with an attitude. :frown:

Also, with all the hunks you've known, who needs a specific romantic moment, hmm?
I still want romantic memories. :cry:

I guess gorgeous hunks don't feel the need to be romantic, they figure they're doing you enough of a favor just by dating you. :grumpy:

loseyourname said:
I had a girl tell me that romantic was holding her hair back while she vomited in the toilet. I liked that girl.
That's kind of romantic. :bugeye:

My first husband told me that when I cried, he had to fight back the urge to burst out laughing. :frown: Not romantic.

Evo said:
I guess gorgeous hunks don't feel the need to be romantic, they figure they're doing you enough of a favor just by dating you. :grumpy:

That's why geeks are better to date. They put a lot more effort into being romantic. :smile:

Evo said:
My first husband told me that when I cried, he had to fight back the urge to burst out laughing. Not romantic
Moonbear said:
That's why geeks are better to date. They put a lot more effort into being romantic. :smile:
This so reminds me of a poem I read a few months ago. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it here.

edit- Found it. It makes me feel like even a casual encounter should have some romance to it, some meaning.
Sharon Olds "Sex Without Love"
How do they do it, the ones who make love
without love? Beautiful as dancers,
gliding over each other like ice-skaters
over the ice, fingers hooked
inside each other's bodies, faces
red as steak, wine, wet as the
children at birth whose mothers are going to
give them away. How do they come to the
come to the come to the God come to the
still waters, and not love
the one who came there with them, light
rising slowly as steam off their joined
skin? These are the true religious,
the purists, the pros, the ones who will not
accept a false Messiah, love the
priest instead of the God. They do not
mistake the lover for their own pleasure,
they are like great runners: they know they are alone
with the road surface, the cold, the wind,
the fit of their shoes, their over-all cardio-
vascular health--just factors, like the partner
in the bed, and not the truth, which is the
single body alone in the universe
against its own best time.

Last edited:
Casual encounters are romantic - romantic in the way that a runner's high is romantic when you lose sight of everything except the perfection of each stride - knees high, elbows in. Focus without thought. It's Nirvana, and sex can be the same thing. It's even more romantic that it makes no difference whatsoever who it is with. Personal identity is not well-suited for true romance.

Evo said:
That's kind of romantic. :bugeye:

My first husband told me that when I cried, he had to fight back the urge to burst out laughing. :frown: Not romantic.

My first wife swallowed a bottle of xanax and forced me to stay with her all night keeping her awake so that she wouldn't die in her sleep. All because I wanted to go out. That is romantic in a manner of speaking, but not in the way I want a woman to be romantic.

loseyourname said:
Casual encounters are romantic - romantic in the way that a runner's high is romantic when you lose sight of everything except the perfection of each stride - knees high, elbows in. Focus without thought. It's Nirvana, and sex can be the same thing. It's even more romantic that it makes no difference whatsoever who it is with. Personal identity is not well-suited for true romance.
I hope you don't mind if I disagree.

loseyourname said:
My first wife swallowed a bottle of xanax and forced me to stay with her all night keeping her awake so that she wouldn't die in her sleep. All because I wanted to go out. That is romantic in a manner of speaking, but not in the way I want a woman to be romantic.
That's sad that you had to put up with someone like that.

I would have dumped her off at a hospital and gone out. Oh, and changed the locks on the doors. I have zero tolerance for stupidity. :devil:

"She told me she worked in the morning and started to laugh
I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath
And when I awoke, I was alone, this bird had flown
So, I light a fire, isn't it good, Norwegian Wood"

-John Lennon, "Norwegian Wood"

What a tender scene of the first coy, carnaby blue. Dancing to Paris, like a Celt in wool and satin, cut and true; all Good and in a Day, adorned and adored, forever in the second, Araby fair, like a ribbon around the moment, and the shimmer in her hair...

I first heard Norwegian Wood when I was but ten years-old, perhaps. I imagined that it described me as a man having an affair, which ended with her parting, laughing at her first flight to morn (mourn). He was left, smiling the smile forlorn. So, I imagined, that in the warm bath, the steam as sultry as the hours to while, wiping the soap from his eyes, stinging like the fading of her smile. And in the warmth of the water, her scent floated with the steam and gathered in the dew; he lit his herb or cigarette and closed his eyes, another melancholy mist floating above, like the bird that flew...

So many years later, it was after a first night with my beautiful ballerina: I was in my own bath the very next day, knowing that however we commenced, it was already ending some other way. So,it was just as I thought the song could; I lit my cigarette and wondered; isn't it good, Norwegian Wood...

Chère Evo,

"Yet, I know nothing but the "enigma wrapped in an "enigma," about which and about whom I have unwrapped, untethered, untied, and undressed, letting drop the linens, longings, and linings upon and around which Mademoiselle would master a theory in guise. And for all the parsing and pursuing of leanings and meanings, of rhythm and rhyme, one found but the allure of an enigma, imbued and erotic, as she is a theory of songwriting, silent, sensual, yet strumming."

Jason

Like, Eliot's Pruffrock:! I read this every night. And as she comes and goes speaking of things and Michelangelo:" It is...sosoooosexy

loseyourname said:

I have to go with Huck on this one. Nothing romantic about casual encounters, they are anti-romantic, just about satisfying selfish pleasures (not that there aren't times that's a good thing). To me, romance the connection you feel when you share something, both partners giving, not when you just take for yourself (even if the other person is doing the same).

Moonbear said:
I have to go with Huck on this one. Nothing romantic about casual encounters, they are anti-romantic, just about satisfying selfish pleasures (not that there aren't times that's a good thing). To me, romance the connection you feel when you share something, both partners giving, not when you just take for yourself (even if the other person is doing the same).
I would agree with that. I have never engaged in 'casual encounters'. I have always been interested in getting to know someone and developing long-term and meaningful relationships.

Jason said:
Evo,

:mad:
I may be old fashioned, or perhaps, like Don Quixote, just of step in the modern world, but a comment like that really pisses me off. It is NOT romantic, but rather boorish, rude and vulgar, and otherwise disrespectful to Evo and all other women.

I would never say such words to a lady, and I would be very upset if any man such a thing in my presence.

I would prefer not see such garbage, here on PF or anywhere else. :grumpy: :mad:

Evo has demonstrated her remarkable good nature, and seems to take it in stride. Nevertheless, Jason, I think you should apologize to Evo and the ladies at PF.

Originally posted by Astronuc
Jason, I think you should apologize to Evo
Chère bein' sexy, bien sûr:

Evo, I have absolutely no desire to pick a fight or condescend to you. Your intelligence, sensitivity, and courage are striking. They are imbued with an erotic energy as well. I admire that and I encourage it.

I do not wish to offend you in any way, even though my rebuke was exceptionally sharp. Let me explain. I had to fight to get into Columbia University, as I matriculated as a much older student. The entrance qualifications are brutally high; the curriculum brutally demanding; the professoriate world-famous; the student body largely rich and arrogant; the cost immense. I worked three jobs at while attending, and I still managed to graduate with full honours, Magna Cum Laude.

There is a most personal significance that the academic experience has for me; I won't bore with the tedious details, but suffice it to say that the experience was a vindication and a redemption of a misspent youth as it were.

I admire your attempts to take on issues---and ideologies and figures, if but to speak truth to common myths or lies. And thus, I can be very, very bracing when it comes to the area of debate. I had to fight to gain access to a place that would give me the wherewithal to study, to understand, to address, to confront, and perhaps to atone and redeem.

Therefore, if I have offended in some way, I apologize. I thank you for your gracious post; I owe you the same.

I would hope that you would not mind my corresponding with you via the private mail; if you would prefer that I did not, please let me know. Your wish, as the saying goes, is my command. And if you would prefer that, in the event that you would continue the informal correspondence, that I amend my tone or manner in some way, please let me know. It is, of course, your right.

I would, in the event that we continue to correspond privately, that what I post to you via the personal mail remain private; therefore, should we have an area of disagreement, that it might not be one to include other members. Indeed, if I feel like posting some concept on the boards I do so. Private messages are, at least in my view, just that.

I hope that no feelings were unduly upset, and I extend my best regards, wishes, and apologies for any undue brusqueness, condescension, or untoward comments on my part.

I can be a real pain in the ass. Of course I responded thus, "Uh-huh, but I do have my bad points, too, you know..."

This message then, is certainly not as enigmatic or sexy as any of yours, but you may assume rightly that it is heartfelt. Tous mes sentiments les meilleurs.

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:

I guess you haven't had the same kind of 'casual encounters' that I have. All I mean by the term is a sexual experience with someone that I am not committed to beyond that one night. There is nothing in this conception that says one must take without giving or that one must be selfish. Ideal sex is selfless, not in the sense of giving at the expense of receiving, but in the sense of a complete breakdown of ego boundaries. Ideal sex involves both partners being true to the literary ethos and showing, not telling, exactly what it is that gets them off the most, and then collapsing into a formless mass of excited flesh, an organism not quite human that can only exist for a brief while, and that exists solely for the purpose of unadulterated pleasure in isolation from all of the remaining world and the cares that it brings. Sex can be transcendental in the way that a day hoeing beans was for Thoreau. I find it terribly romantic that an encounter like this can take place with a person whose name you are not even sure of; I find it doubly romantic that, in an encounter like this, you can forget your own name.

I also find it rather sad that no one ever seems to have these encounters unless they are in love. It is very difficult to be in love. It is not difficult at all to have great sex.