1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Romeo and a pebble

1. Sep 22, 2004 #1
    I posted this the other day, but I only got one response from someone that was a reminder that the pebble would be following a parabolic path...but what need help with is going about solving the problem....here's the problem and what I tried again..sorry to post the same problem again, but I thought maybe with all the posts no one saw it. Any help would be awesome :eek:)

*Romeo is chucking pebbles as gently as he can up to Juliet's window. That is, he wants the pebbles to hit the window with the least possible speed....He is standing at the edge of a rose garden at H = 7.70m below her window and at D = 8.90m from the base of the wall. How fast are the pebbles going when they hit her window?*

Ok, so the horizontal component is 8.9m and the vertical is 7.7m...I tried
    - tan= 7.7/8.9 to get theta and then use that to get the hypoteneuse, but i realized, after getting the problem wrong, that I only got the distance of the hypoteneuse, when i really needed the velocity...so how would i find that? thx for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Draw a picture, and review projectile motion.
  4. Sep 22, 2004 #3
    Yes, that person who told you about the parabolic path was me. I also tried to get you to identify the point at which the speed would be the smallest, which is the summit of its trajectory (because at that point the pebble has no vertical speed). You have the vertical distance, the final vertical velocity, and the acceleration due to gravity, so can you find how long it takes to reach Juliet's window? From there you should be able to find the final answer.
  5. Sep 22, 2004 #4
    do you go to MIT?
  6. Sep 22, 2004 #5
    No, umm...why?
  7. Sep 22, 2004 #6
    no, the original poster. this was on the problem set for the freshmen and i noticed the original poster was from massachusetts.
  8. Sep 22, 2004 #7
    Surprising. This seems a little too basic for MIT standards.
  9. Sep 22, 2004 #8
    k thanks, I will try that :eek:) Nope, I go to the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor...the questions are easy because it's an algebra based physics class
  10. Sep 22, 2004 #9
    yeah, it is. well, it is the first pset, and it is for 8.01. 8.012, the more advanced version, uses kleppner amd kolenkow. i think this is from giancoli or somethin similar.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?