Solving the Boat Movement After Romeo & Juliet's Kiss: 0.7m

• Thread starter Satoy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the distance the boat moves when Juliet moves 2.7m to kiss Romeo. The answer is 0.7m and the key is to think about the center of mass of the total system before and after Juliet's movement. The net force on the system is zero and the center of mass shifts when Juliet moves.
Satoy
I've got most of the problem completed but I need a little help on the last little bit. Julet moves across the boat 2.7m to romeo to give him a kiss. Romeo and the boat weigh 157 kg and Julet weighs 55 kg. How far does the boat move. The boat is at rest before hand.

The answer is .7m and I have no idea how the book got that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: If you assume that the water exerts no (horizontal) force on the boat, then the center of mass of the "boat + Romeo + Juliet" cannot move.

Oh ok you just put me in the right state of mind, I got it now.

Let me see if I am right the F to move Juliet needs to be applyed to the total system right?

Yes.From there,the answer is simple to find.

Daniel.

Satoy said:
Let me see if I am right the F to move Juliet needs to be applyed to the total system right?
Not sure what you are saying here. The net force on the total system is zero.

Think like this. Before Juliet moves, the center of mass of the total system is at some point on the boat. Mark that point with an X. When Juliet moves, where is the new center of mass with respect to that X?

1. How does a 0.7m movement affect the boat after Romeo and Juliet's kiss?

A 0.7m movement is a relatively small distance and would not have a significant impact on the boat. It may cause a slight shift in weight distribution, but it would not cause any major changes in the boat's movement.

2. Is the boat movement affected by the location of Romeo and Juliet's kiss on the boat?

The location of the kiss on the boat would not have a direct impact on the boat's movement. However, if the kiss were to occur near the edge of the boat, there may be a slight shift in weight that could affect the boat's balance.

3. What factors determine the boat's movement after the kiss?

The boat's movement is primarily determined by the wind, current, and weight distribution on the boat. Other factors such as the boat's design and the shape of its hull may also play a role.

4. Could the boat's movement be affected by the emotional weight of the kiss?

No, the emotional weight of the kiss would not have a physical impact on the boat's movement. However, if the kiss were to distract the people on the boat and cause them to shift their weight, it could indirectly affect the boat's movement.

5. How long would the boat's movement be affected after Romeo and Juliet's kiss?

The boat's movement would only be affected for a short period after the kiss. As the boat continues to move and the people on board adjust their weight, the boat will regain its balance and return to its normal movement.