Romeo & Juliet: Finding the Velocity of a Pebble

• Thread starter bcotten
  • Start date
In summary: I'm also guessing that the final velocity in the x direction will be the same as the initial velocity because there is no acceleration in the x direction (assuming air resistance is negligible). So Vo = sqrt(x^2+y^2).In summary, Romeo throws a pebble at Juliet's window, but it is too large and too fast, causing it to move horizontally before crashing through the glass. To find the magnitude of the pebble's velocity as it leaves Romeo's hand, use the formula Vo = sqrt(x^2+y^2), where x and y represent the horizontal and vertical distances traveled by the pebble, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity. To find the direction of the pebble's velocity, use
bcotten
Romeo tosses a pebble at Juliet's window to wake her. Unfortunately, he throws too large a pebble too fast. Just before crashing through the glass, the pebble is moving horizontally, having traveled a horizontal distance x and a vertical distance y as a projectile.

Find the magnitude of the pebble's velocity as it leaves Romeo's hand.

Find the direction of the pebble's velocity (angle above the horizontal) as it leaves Romeo's hand.

The answers need to be expressed in x y and g.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks like a homework question. PF rules state that we must see your work before we can help you. So, do you have any ideas?

P.S. In future please post such questions in the homework forum.

Do you have any ideas? Tell us what you have done. Also it would help to draw a diagram. Since it wants the direction, you'll need to use a right triangle somewhere in your diagram.

EDIT: aw cream cheese. It took me two minutes to type this :)

I thought it was, Vo = sqrt[((x/t)^2)+(((y-gt^2)/t)^2)] for the magnitude, but the solution does not depend on "t".

does "moving horizontally" mean that the final velocity in the y direction is 0?

@ bcotten. I'm a total noob at this, but I'm going to guess that moving horizontally means that the pebble is at the apex of the projectile motion. I'm guessing that the time = v(initial)/g.

What is the concept behind "Romeo & Juliet: Finding the Velocity of a Pebble"?

The concept behind "Romeo & Juliet: Finding the Velocity of a Pebble" is to use the principles of physics to calculate the velocity of a pebble thrown by Romeo in the famous balcony scene from Shakespeare's play, Romeo and Juliet. This experiment allows students to apply their knowledge of physics to a real-world scenario.

What materials are needed for this experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a stopwatch, a measuring tape, a pebble, and a calculator. You may also need a video of the balcony scene from Romeo and Juliet to accurately measure the distance that the pebble travels.

How do you calculate the velocity of the pebble?

The velocity of the pebble can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled (measured using the measuring tape) by the time it takes for the pebble to travel that distance (measured using the stopwatch). The formula for velocity is: velocity = distance/time.

What factors may affect the accuracy of the results?

Some factors that may affect the accuracy of the results include human error in timing the throw and measuring the distance, wind or other weather conditions that may impact the trajectory of the pebble, and the weight and shape of the pebble itself. It is important to perform multiple trials and take an average to minimize these potential sources of error.

What can be learned from this experiment?

This experiment allows students to apply their understanding of physics concepts, such as velocity and projectile motion, to a real-life scenario. It also demonstrates the importance of accuracy and precision in scientific experiments, as well as the impact of external factors on the results. Additionally, students can gain a deeper understanding of the famous scene from Romeo and Juliet and the power of storytelling to capture and inspire scientific curiosity.