Romney's VP pic prediction

• News
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
Pythagorean
Gold Member
Some say you can tell who's going to be VP by how many wiki edits their page is getting... it's almost as if somebody has millions of dollars to hire a lot of lobbyists to go to wiki war!

*snip*

In 2008, as The Washington Post wrote at the time, "just hours before [Sen. John] McCain declared his veep choice of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, her Wiki page saw a flurry of activity, with editors adding details about her approval rating and husband's employment. ... Palin's entry was updated at least 68 times, with at least an additional 54 changes made to her entry over the preceding five days.

Meanwhile, the Post said, "on Aug. 22, the day before the Obama campaign officially named [then-Sen. Joe] Biden as the veep pick, Biden's Wiki page garnered roughly 40 changes. Over the five days prior, users would make at least 111 other changes to his entry."

*snip*

So what's going on now with some of those said to be among the leading possibilities to be joining Mitt Romney on the Republican ticket?

— Ohio Sen. Rob Portman's Wiki page has been revised 16 times so far today, by someone called "River8009."

— Florida Sen. Marco Rubio's Wiki page has been revised nine times so far today and 11 times from Aug. 2-6.

— Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty's Wiki page has been tweaked four times today.

— Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan's Wiki page has been edited once today, and 11 times from Aug. 2-6.

— Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal's Wiki page hasn't been edited today, but was revised eight times from Aug. 3-4.

— New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte's Wiki page has not been touched today. It was last revised on July 28.

— New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie's Wiki page hasn't been revised since July 24.

*snip*

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...e-is-getting-the-most-edits?ft=1&f=1014&sc=tw

Answers and Replies

Alfi
I see there were no guesses put forward in this thread.

now we know.

Paul Ryan. As per the news this morning.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
That was one of the articles predictions, 2nd most likely one according to their hypothesis.

Alfi
lol - if I had guessed ... one of these.

I would have been the only one to guess.

The debate will continue as to, is this a good or the best choice.

I don't see Mr Ryan as a bad choice.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I don't see Romney as a good choice in the first place, so hopefully his VP pick will be irrelevant.

I expect Romney to win, so the choice is important. For those who don't like Romney, take heart, he predicted Ryan would be the next President.

Alfi
I expect Romney to win, so the choice is important. For those who don't like Romney, take heart, he predicted Ryan would be the next President.

I do not expect Romney to win. His choice of a VP is a non issue for me.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I'm pretty sure Obama's got that one, but that's probably for another thread.

SixNein
Gold Member

I think the Ryan pick was out of weakness. He needed someone to get people to stop talking about him. On the other hand, he'll appeal to the tea baggers but at the price of the more moderate line.

Obama can't be the next President, he's the current one. And the only way Ryan can be the next one is if Romney loses the current election.

Evo
Mentor
We can only hope Romney doesn't win.

I can only ever hope neither of them wins. "Two wings of the same bird of prey"

WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
I feel like he's just picking an overly conservative party politics consumed individual for VP to offset his own flip flopping status and moderate status. Paul Ryan is a horrible human being, god I hope Romney doesn't win.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
I can only ever hope neither of them wins. "Two wings of the same bird of prey"

Yeah, but unrealistic. Lesser of evils is what we're forced to choose, lest we allow the greater.

"Lesser of evils" is a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
How do you mean?

Lesser of evils is what we're forced to choose, lest we allow the greater.
I've voted for the lesser of two evils in the past and it hasn't worked out well for me. This year I'm going to turn things around.

I now have a reason to vote for Romney.

I've voted for the lesser of two evils in the past and it hasn't worked out well for me. This year I'm going to turn things around.

You're going to vote for the greater of two evils this time?

russ_watters
Mentor
Paul Ryan is a horrible human being...
That's pretty strong -- what specifically is so awful about him?

Paul Ryan was a good VP pick. Makes it clear that Romney's potential presidency is going to be all about the federal budget.

SIGNIFICANTLY better than John McCain's VP pick... I'm probably not going to vote this year, but it's good to see Republicans picking a candidate based on credentials rather than race sex or religion.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
You're going to vote for the greater of two evils this time?
I believe he said he was voting for Romney.

russ_watters
Mentor
Paul Ryan was a good VP pick. Makes it clear that Romney's potential presidency is going to be all about the federal budget.

SIGNIFICANTLY better than John McCain's VP pick... I'm probably not going to vote this year, but it's good to see Republicans picking a candidate based on credentials rather than race sex or religion.
I share that opinion, particularly the parts about budget and religion. I am particularly happy to see someone with virtually no religious cachet on the Republican ticket (Romney too).

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Seems like Ryan will go a long way to secure the base...but shouldn't that already be secured? I don't know yet how he'll appeal to independents.

How do you mean?

I mean it in the sense that it is positive feedback to the system. People may say they are voting against someone or for the lesser of two evils, but it is still a vote FOR someone. This only acts as an affirmation to the party that what they put up people will vote for.