1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roof withstanding a storm

1. Jan 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Someone is putting a small shed in their backyard. The roof is not nailed down so gravity alone is holding it down. The wind suddenly flows across the top of the roogf at 20 m/s. The air inside the shed is 1.01 x 10^15 Pa, the normal atmospheric pressure. The roof has an area of 16m^2 and a mass of 250 kg. Density of air is 1.29 kg/m^3. Will the roof fly off?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The answer is that the roof will fly off.

In order for this to be true, pressure inside plus gravity must be greater than pressure outside.

Pushing down I have Pressure_up = 1.01 x 10^5 Pa.

I know that Pressure_down = mg/A + P_wind

I know this must be less than 1.01 x 10^5

However, what is the formula for Pressure_wind? I know the faster the wind, the smaller the pressure. I know formulas such as p + .5*density*v^2 + density*g*y, but it seems like a higher velocity would yield a higher pressure with this formula. It shouldn't be that way. What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is "p + .5*density*v^2 + density*g*y" equal to?

If you use the equation correctly, you will find higher velocity does give lower pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?