Rooftop solar hot water system

In summary, the conversation discusses the feasibility of installing a solar hot water system and calculating the equilibrium temperature of a collector plate directly facing the sun. The provided reference book shows that the ground level solar intensity is 800W/m^2 for at least five hours a day throughout most of the year. The conversation also includes the use of the Stefan-Boltzmann law to solve for the temperature, with the final answer being 72 degrees Celsius.
Meera.sheeda

Homework Statement

You would like to put a solar hot water system on your roof but your not sure if it's feasible. A reference book on solar energy shows that the ground level solar intensity in your city is 800W/m^2 for at least five hours a day throughout most of the year. Assuming that the completely black collector plate loses energy only by radiation and that the air temperature is 20 degrees Celsius. What is the equilibrium temperature of a collector plate directly facing the sun? Note that while the plate has two sides only the side facing the sun will radiate as the other side is well insulated.

Homework Equations

Q/delta t = e x sigma x A x T ^4

Sigma= stefan-Boltzmann constant = 5.67 x 10^-8

The Attempt at a Solution

My exams in a month and this is one of my study questions, the answer in the back of the book is 110 degrees Celsius.

I tried using the radiation equation provided to solve for T.

I subbed in 800/(5x60x60) = 0.04444 as Q/delta t.
Seeing as the solar intensity was given in W/m^2, I figured that they had already divided Q by A which left (e x sigma x T^4) on the RHS
I divided the 0.044444 by sigma and then assuming e =1 since the plate is black I was left with:
783852.63 = T^4
T = 29 K
Which is so far off. I feel like I'm making the same stupid mistake over and over but I can't figure out what it is?
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong comment. Contents deleted. Sorry

Last edited:
Hi Meera.sheeda, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I suspect that the details of the hours of sun yielding 800 W/m^2 is unnecessary information here. The question specifically asks "What is the equilibrium temperature of a collector plate directly facing the sun?" So the sun must be up and the plate directly facing it for your calculation.

The plate is therefore absorbing heat energy at the specified rate. It is also losing heat at a rate that depends upon the ambient temperature. Take a look at the Hyperphysics exposition on the Stefan-Boltzmann law.

NTW said:
The Stefan-Boltzmann law states that the irradiation = constant * (absolute temp)4.

The irradiation is in watts/m2. Assuming an absorption/emissivity of 1,

800 w/m2 = 5,6703 x 10-8 * T4

T = 345 K = 72 ºC
Thank you so much for your answer but this wasn't right either :/

Meera.sheeda said:
Thank you so much for your answer but this wasn't right either :/

Yes, I have just deleted it. Sorry.

gneill said:
Hi Meera.sheeda, Welcome to Physics Forums.

I suspect that the details of the hours of sun yielding 800 W/m^2 is unnecessary information here. The question specifically asks "What is the equilibrium temperature of a collector plate directly facing the sun?" So the sun must be up and the plate directly facing it for your calculation.

The plate is therefore absorbing heat energy at the specified rate. It is also losing heat at a rate that depends upon the ambient temperature. Take a look at the Hyperphysics exposition on the Stefan-Boltzmann law.
Thank you! I did have to use the 800W/m^2 but your link showed me how to include the surrounding temp in my calculations and I ended up getting the same answer as in the back of the book! thank you heaps for all your help :)

What is a rooftop solar hot water system?

A rooftop solar hot water system is a type of renewable energy system that uses solar panels installed on the roof of a building to collect and convert sunlight into heat energy. This heat energy is then used to heat water for everyday use, such as showers, washing dishes, and doing laundry.

How does a rooftop solar hot water system work?

The solar panels on the roof absorb sunlight, which is then converted into heat energy. This heat energy is transferred to a fluid, such as water or antifreeze, that is circulated through a series of pipes to a storage tank. The heated fluid in the storage tank is used to heat the water for household use.

What are the benefits of a rooftop solar hot water system?

There are several benefits to installing a rooftop solar hot water system. First, it is a renewable energy source, meaning it is sustainable and does not contribute to climate change. It also reduces the need for non-renewable energy sources, such as natural gas or electricity, which can save you money on energy bills. Additionally, it can increase the value of your property and may qualify you for tax incentives.

Is a rooftop solar hot water system suitable for all climates?

Rooftop solar hot water systems can work in a variety of climates, but they are most effective in areas with plenty of sunlight. However, even in colder or cloudier climates, a well-designed system can still provide significant energy savings. It is important to consult with a professional to determine the best system for your specific climate and location.

What maintenance is required for a rooftop solar hot water system?

Rooftop solar hot water systems require very little maintenance. It is recommended to have a professional service the system every 3-5 years to check for any issues and ensure optimal performance. Additionally, it is important to keep the solar panels clean and free of any debris to maximize their efficiency. Other than that, the system should continue to operate efficiently for many years.