How Does Room Temperature Affect Air Molecule Energy from Winter to Summer?

In summary, according to KMT, Avarage kinetic energy of 1 mole gas is=(3/2) x R x T. So, in winter in my cold room, the gases have Kea=34J/mole (T=5oC) and in summer that figure climbs to, -roughly- 37J/mole, (T=25oC) Difference is , 3J per mole. If my rooms dimensions are 3m x 3m x 4m, volume is 36m^3, so n is = PV/RT=(1)(36.000)/(0.082)(15+273) (avg temp of 15oC taken to compute number of moles
skepticwulf
According to KMT, Avarage kinetic energy of 1 mole gas is=(3/2) x R x T
So , in winter in my cold room ,
the gases have Kea=34J/mole (T=5oC)

and in summer that figure climbs to, -roughly- 37J/mole, (T=25oC)
Difference is , 3J per mole.

If my rooms dimensions are 3m x 3m x 4m, volume is 36m^3, so
n is = PV/RT=(1)(36.000)/(0.082)(15+273) (avg temp of 15oC taken to compute number of moles)
n=1524 mole ==> 3J x 1524= 4573J That's the difference of Energy between winter and summer for my room.

So, does that mean the air molecules in my room carries 4573J more energy in summer compared to winter?

How can I put time factor? Can I say they carry that per second?
Power=E/t=4573/1=4573 Watts??
Can I assume they hit my body constantly it's as if 4573W heater is in the room and warms me up??

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of moles is not the same. The room is not a sealed container but one in equilibrium with the atmospheric pressure.
If you do the calculation right you will see that the total energy is independent of temperature but dependent of pressure.
Time does not come into the picture.

Can you elaborate on that pls?

The number of moles in a room of volume V, at pressure p and temperature T is
N=pV/RT
If you multiply this by the energy per mole, u=3/2 RT, the temperature simplifies. There is nothing more to "elaborate".

skepticwulf said:
Can I say they carry that per second?

No, the energy is not 'per second'. Energy per second would be power, and would imply that the gas is losing or gaining that much energy per second. A gas molecules with X joules of kinetic energy will retain that energy until a collision causes it to either give up or gain energy. As the molecule bounces around over time, it will randomly gain or lose energy with each bounce. If the gas is in equilibrium then all of these collisions tend to cancel themselves out and you can assign an average value.

nasu said:
The number of moles in a room of volume V, at pressure p and temperature T is
N=pV/RT
If you multiply this by the energy per mole, u=3/2 RT, the temperature simplifies. There is nothing more to "elaborate".
Thank you!, you're such a nice person.

You are welcome. :smile:

1. What is considered room temperature during winter and summer?

Room temperature is typically defined as a comfortable indoor temperature range between 68°F and 72°F. This temperature range is generally considered comfortable for most people during both winter and summer.

2. Why does room temperature feel different in winter and summer?

Room temperature may feel different in winter and summer due to external factors such as humidity, air circulation, and insulation. In winter, the air is typically drier, making the room feel colder. In summer, higher humidity levels can make the room feel warmer and more uncomfortable.

3. Is it more energy efficient to keep the room temperature the same in winter and summer?

It is more energy efficient to adjust the room temperature according to the season. In winter, lowering the temperature a few degrees can help save on heating costs. In summer, raising the temperature a few degrees can help save on cooling costs. This can also help reduce energy consumption and lower utility bills.

4. How does room temperature affect our health in winter and summer?

Extreme temperatures, whether hot or cold, can have negative effects on our health. In winter, lower temperatures can lead to increased risk of respiratory infections and heart problems. In summer, higher temperatures can cause dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke.

5. Can room temperature affect our productivity in winter and summer?

Yes, room temperature can affect our productivity in both winter and summer. In winter, colder temperatures can decrease productivity by making us feel sluggish and tired. In summer, higher temperatures can also decrease productivity by making it difficult to concentrate and causing discomfort.