Roomate is worrying that he might have an std

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary, HPV is a virus that can be spread through sexual contact, and it can cause health problems for both men and women.
gravenewworld
So my roomate is worrying that he might have an std, and we started looking up facts about stds. according to the cdc:

Approximately 20 million people are currently infected with HPV. At least 50 percent of sexually active men and women acquire genital HPV infection at some point in their lives. By age 50, at least 80 percent of women will have acquired genital HPV infection. About 6.2 million Americans get a new genital HPV infection each year.

80%! wow who knew vaginas could be so dangerous? :yuck:

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh yeah, it has nothing to do with those promiscuous men the women trust. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and stds hurt women more than men. Symptoms don't show up as often or strongly for men, so they don't get screened and they spread it to every girl they meet! I'm sure more guys are infected with stds but they don't realize it because they won't go in for a checkup.

On a related note, when are they coming out with that contraceptive pill for men? Not that I'd trust a guy to remember to take it everyday:rolleyes:

0TheSwerve0 said:
Yeah, and stds hurt women more than men. Symptoms don't show up as often or strongly for men, so they don't get screened and they spread it to every girl they meet! I'm sure more guys are infected with stds but they don't realize it because they won't go in for a checkup.

Not only that, but guys who know that they are infected won't go to the doctor.

Guys are very self-conscious, especially in my generation.

0TheSwerve0 said:

probably. women make 150 million more visits to the doctor every year than men (this isn't including trips because of pregnancy).

Guys hate going to the doctor as much as girls hate taking care of their cars:biggrin: I don't know what it is, I'm just completely uninterested in car maintainance, even though I know I'll pay big for it when something goes wrong. And if you think most women don't know how to use their cars, then it's equally true that most guys don't take the time to learn how to use their equipment:wink:

What are the common symptoms of an STD?

Common symptoms of an STD can include pain or burning during urination, unusual discharge from the genitals, sores or bumps on the genitals, and itching or irritation in the genital area. However, it is important to note that some STDs may not have any noticeable symptoms.

How can someone get tested for STDs?

The most accurate way to get tested for STDs is to visit a healthcare provider and request a test. They may perform a physical exam, swab a sample from the affected area, or take a blood or urine sample. There are also at-home testing kits available, but these may not be as accurate as tests performed by a healthcare professional.

Can STDs be treated?

Many STDs can be treated with antibiotics or antiviral medications. However, some viral STDs, such as herpes and HIV, have no cure but can be managed with medication. It is important to seek medical treatment if you suspect you have an STD, as leaving it untreated can lead to serious health complications.

How can I protect myself from getting an STD?

The best way to protect yourself from getting an STD is to practice safe sex. This includes using condoms or other barrier methods during sexual activity and getting tested regularly if you are sexually active. It is also important to communicate openly and honestly with sexual partners about your sexual health and any potential risks.

What should I do if I think I have an STD?

If you think you may have an STD, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Your healthcare provider can diagnose and treat any potential STDs and provide you with information on how to manage and prevent them in the future. It is also important to inform any sexual partners so they can get tested and treated as well.