Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Roommate attraction

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1

I recently moved from a house with two guys to a house with two girls. I moved out for space reasons but also because I didnt like my old roommates anymore. I found these girls through a flyer on campus and I knew there would be tension the first time I met them. They are both very cute and they both are on the university dance team. Anyways, I moved in and things have been going great but now I think one of them is starting to have a crush on me. I really am not too attracted to her personality but she knows she looks great and she uses it a lot to converse with me; ie wearing revealing clothes, showing me her repetoire in the living room, and of course the touchy feely poking stuff that friends do. I really am unsure about moving forward because it sounds like a disaster in the making. Anyone have input on my situation? Any other roommate stories similar to this?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Get a couple of bottles of wine and see how things develop... :biggrin:
  4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    why are you asking us? just go for it & if it turns out to be a disaster just move out like you did with the other place.
  5. Oct 6, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think you should state you position so shes clear where you stand then the rest is up to her.
  6. Oct 6, 2006 #5

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

IF you stay, things will go bad sooner or later. Possibly, things could go well before they go bad. Any scenario ends with you moving out. HOw long is your lease?
  7. Oct 6, 2006 #6
    If you don't like her, then whats the problem? Just continue to be yourself. I take it you didn't have sisters?
  8. Oct 6, 2006 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then it sounds obvious to me that you shouldn't even be considering moving forward. *shrug*

If her flirting makes you uncomfortable, then you need to tell her that.

If not, then you just need to evaluate the alternatives.

Do you think she'll be hurt if you tell her you're not interested now?
    Do you think she'll be more hurt if she doesn't find out until after she's spent many months embarassing herself by hitting on you?
    Do you think the crush will pass?
    Do you think she will try to move forward?
    If so, do you think she'll be more hurt if you wait and reject her then?
    Even worse, do you think you might not resist?

I'm generally in favor of telling people how you feel about things -- but if you're not, then let the answers to these questions guide you. (and other questions you might come up with)

Oh, that's a good idea. (If hypatia doesn't mind me warping her post) You like these girls as friends, right? Tell them that they're like sisters to you. :smile: (I know that only one has the crush, but it might go smoother if you didn't single her out) Well, I suppose you shouldn't do that unless you really do feel close to 'em in a friendly way.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  9. Oct 6, 2006 #8
    These are the best years of your life, why not have as much fun as possible? You say she looks great but you're not attracted to her personality - I say try to have fun, you don't have to solve crosswords together. The most important thing is to make your intentions very clear - to her and to yourself - and let her make her own choice. Not everyone is interested in deep relationships, and as long as you're honest with her (however subtly) you've got nothing to worry about - she has every right to choose what she wants from you.
    It's a fine rope to tread, but isn't that what's so darn great about it?
  10. Oct 6, 2006 #9

Gold Member

Have you considered getting a web-cam and starting a pay site?
  11. Oct 6, 2006 #10

great parental advice
  12. Oct 6, 2006 #11

Staff: Mentor

Ehh, there's a decent chance she's just doing it for her own self-esteem anyway, so you may as well just ride it and enjoy it.
  13. Oct 6, 2006 #12

great parental advice
  14. Oct 6, 2006 #13

Yeah Mattius_, you might actually like her personallity with a bottle of wine in you.
  15. Oct 6, 2006 #14
    I'm 51 years old and have a collection of memories of situations roughly similar to this in which I did the right and proper thing. Each one now haunts me like a burning, sore, blister when I think of it. Why didn't I take advantage of these amazing opportunities?

I'm 51, Mattius_, and they don't happen anymore.............
  16. Oct 6, 2006 #15

Staff: Mentor

Consider keeping it platonic and make that known, especially if one does not have reciprocal feelings.

If one decides to 'roll with it and have fun', one risks it blowing up in one's face. If one becomes romantically or more likely casually involved, and then the relationship fails, is one prepared to move out?

Just don't take advantage of the young lady's affections.
  17. Oct 6, 2006 #16
    If you don't like her and you casually get her pregnant then you are stuck dealing with someone you don't like for the next 18 years.
  18. Oct 6, 2006 #17
    Getting someone pregnant when you're both in college would be a nightmare even if he thought she was the most wonderful person in the world.
  19. Oct 6, 2006 #18
  20. Oct 6, 2006 #19
    That's the problem, I moved in just over a month ago and the lease is a YEAR. I think the penalty for breaking the lease is a couple hundred dollars plus the time it takes them to find a new roommate. On the whole though, I couldn't picture a better living situation (besides the expressed situation.) The house is nice; they are clean, focused, awesome to talk to, and we even hang out on the weekends a lot. Hypatia, I grew up with my sis and my mother only so I do have an idea about living with women. I thought about that when I decided to move in and thougth it would be manageable. About her personality; I suppose that I should back off a little from my previous statement because she is just starting to come out of her shell now that we all know each other. My first impressions however were not mentally stimulating.

Overall though, I guess that this made me realize I am really quite happy and fortunate to have such a place to live and I really don't want to screw it up. The whole problem here is that I just dont see it possible to have a casual thing going without someone getting attached or hurt. I think I could, but im not sure a girl could. I don't know why I am asking for advice... I guess I just wanted to vent a little. If it does come down to it though, ill make sure that we both know what it is.
  21. Oct 6, 2006 #20
    A girl could, and they do quite often. It is well within the range of emotions of the female psyche. You need to take the pulse of this particular girl, somehow.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?