Root Canal Today: My Numb Eye, Gnats & Cravings

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Root
In summary, the dentist gave Evo a checkup to make sure everything was still okay and she was able to eat. She is worried that the anesthetic might not have worn off completely, and is also worried about the gnats she was swarmed by while there. She is glad that her teeth are still fine, but advises Evo to come back for a check-up every six months.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Ok, I finally broke down and had a root canal done on my other tooth. This doctor really believes in going heavy on the local anesthetic. So much so, even my eye started to get numb, which concerned me a bit.

Now I am in that gawdawful time when the anesthetic is wearing off and it feels like bugs are crawling around inside my nose. With all of the gnats I had, I am really hoping that it's just a sensation... :uhh:

I forgot to eat before going to the doctor and am still not able to move my lips, and I am starving.

I would just LOVE to ban someone. Come on, anyone that even spells something wrong tonight is not safe. :devil: Get your GOOBF cards out.

Why can't we be like sharks and just have our teeth constantly replaced? I know our ancestors never lived long enough for it to be an issue. I guess if I didn't constantly bite into pitted olives where the pit was left in and lunch meat that didn't have bones in it I might not have issues.

Wolram knows what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Why can't we be like sharks and just have our teeth constantly replaced?

Because God knew we'd have nothing stopping us from eating too much candy and we'd get fat so in his infinite wisdom he gave us insanity-inducing tooth aches to remind us to cut it down.

Praise the Lord!

I know our ancestors never lived long enough for it to be an issue.

That and they didn't have any refined sugar, which plays a HUGE role in what's going on today.

I guess if I didn't constantly bite into pitted olives where the pit was left in and lunch meat that didn't have bones in it I might not have issues.

Wolram knows what I am talking about.

Good, because I don't. :confused:

Root canal? {OoooOOoooooofaints}

Oooo, that's rough :frown: ! I hope the tingles wear off quickly.

You need a chocolate shake, made with copious amounts of Bailey's Irish Cream!

Finished one last week. Trick is, my dentist doesn't believe in anestethics...

Poor evo - but given your history a visit to the dentist that doesn't involve accidental decapitation is a win!

I finally went to the dentist as part of a new medical insurance scheme.
When did you last visit the dentist?
-About 30 years ago as a little kid
You don't have any fillings!
-I know, see previous answer
Your teeth are fine, but come back for a checkup every 6 months
-If they are fine, why do I suddenly want you to start messing with them?

get out the blender again

It is a horrible feeling, i hate it when they ask you to rinse when you have no feelings in your lips.
This is your Last (illness) Evo you are not allowed any more, you are banned until 2010.

Did you get one of those magic root canals?

Look at this, Evo:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/funny-pictures-itty-bitty-kitty-committee-goes-on-a-camping-trip.jpg [Broken]

That's got to make you smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, doezh id thound like thissh when oo bry do dalk?

But seriously, I hope things are feeling normal soon.

Ah MIH! Those are adorible! And yes they made me smile, even though there was no detectable movement on my face. :eek:

I only have a bit of uncomfortable tingling left in my lips and I have been able to eat.

Thanks to everyone for the commiseration. :smile:

Eep! Like wolram says, you're not allowed to have any more ailments.

Evo said:
I would just LOVE to ban someone. Come on, anyone that even spells something wrong tonight is not safe. :devil: Get your GOOBF cards out.

GOOBF CARDS HERE! GET YOUR GOOBF CARDS HERE!
Root Canal Clearance Sale Rates: 1 GOOBF card for 1 lb of dark Belgian chocolates

wolram said:
It is a horrible feeling, i hate it when they ask you to rinse when you have no feelings in your lips.

Oh, I really hate that too! Or, when they check if the filling is shaped right and ask you to bite down and tell them if you feel any bumps...um, no, I don't feel anything because half my face is numb! (They always seem surprised by this...it seems I don't require a lot of anesthetic to induce a lot of numbness for a long time.)

Moonbear said:
Root Canal Clearance Sale Rates: 1 GOOBF card for 1 lb of dark Belgian chocolates
OK, when we finance root canals with the materials that might have induced them in the first place, are we further ahead? When I got dental insurance due to my wife's job, I got bi-annual cleanings, etc, and LOTS of fillings, including some that did not end well (two different dentists). Might I inject here that I suffered two root-canals on a single molar because the idiot screwed up the first one? I refused to go back to those hacks and have no tooth pain and a full mouth or healthy teeth. I'm only 56, so I might be a dummy, but I hope not.

Moonbear said:
:rofl:

This is a young endodontist and he uses the latest method for root canals which utilizes some device that does the entire root canal in about 10-15 minutes with almost no movement on his part. :bugeye:

The "x-rays" are done with a small electronic wand that is lightly held near the tooth for a few seconds, no biting down on some clumsy x-ray plate, no gagging.

There is no rinsing and spitting, there is a slight spray of mouth temperature water that you can't feel and it is simultaneoulsy removed so it's as if nothing happened. He tells you it is happening, otherwise, you wouldn't know. Seriously the only part about the entire procedure that you notice is when the anesthetic wears off. The gum numbing medication he applies before the first pain killer injection means you can't even tell he's done it, you just start to feel numb.

Anyone that needs a root canal, go to this guy!

The Evo Child took me and when I came out she was amazed, she said "I thought root canals were something major that took awhile".

On the other hand, maybe he's a scam artist and nothing was really done. :devil:

Come to think of it, he kept telling me he was doing things but nothing seemed to be happening. I was wearing the big sunglasses he gave me and watching HGTV on a tv screen above my face. The procedure doesn't even make any noise. :confused:

Last edited:
Evo said:
On the other hand, maybe he's a scam artist and nothing was really done. :devil:

Come to think of it, he kept telling me he was doing things but nothing seemed to be happening. I was wearing the big sunglasses he gave me and watching HGTV on a tv screen above my face. The procedure doesn't even make any noise. :confused:

hmmm-:uhh:-was your blouse buttoned the same as when you went in?

Evo said:
This is a young endodontist and he uses the latest method for root canals which utilizes some device that does the entire root canal in about 10-15 minutes with almost no movement on his part. :bugeye:

The "x-rays" are done with a small electronic wand that is lightly held near the tooth for a few seconds, no biting down on some clumsy x-ray plate, no gagging.

There is no rinsing and spitting, there is a slight spray of mouth temperature water that you can't feel and it is simultaneoulsy removed so it's as if nothing happened. He tells you it is happening, otherwise, you wouldn't know. Seriously the only part about the entire procedure that you notice is when the anesthetic wears off. The gum numbing medication he applies before the first pain killer injection means you can't even tell he's done it, you just start to feel numb.

Anyone that needs a root canal, go to this guy!

The Evo Child took me and when I came out she was amazed, she said "I thought root canals were something major that took awhile".

I sooooo want to go to that guy. I've had -- hang on, my tongue is counting the root canalled teeth in my head -- four root canals and not one of the procedures made any noise. And I've never had anything go wrong with any of them either, but they certainly take longer than 10 or 15 minutes.

They traumatise me to no end, though. The last guy was trying to figure out if it was my molar or the tooth beside it under a bridge that was hurting so much. The whole area had pain, and I couldn't distinguish. He had this nasty tool that appeared enamel-tipped that he kept heating until really, really hot and then he held it against one sore tooth and then the other and asked me to identify which one hurt most. Then he repeated the procedure using cold. Then hot, then cold. I swear I wanted to smack him because both teeth were already super sensitive to everything, including air, and wow did I want to smack him.

Bleh. I need another one too. I want Evo's guy. The freezing coming out doesn't disturb me in the least.

Evo said:
Ok, I finally broke down and had a root canal done on my other tooth. This doctor really believes in going heavy on the local anesthetic. So much so, even my eye started to get numb, which concerned me a bit.
I had three wisdom teeth extracted, one complicated, a few months ago. The anesthetic went all the way up to my scalp, that really was weird. The whole week I had a yellow/green/purple cheek, I looked like a chipmunk with all the swelling :rolleyes: I hope no root canals will be in my (near) future.

Evo said:
At least the next time you need to have a root canal done, you won't feel anxiety with such a pleasant (if you can use that word) experience.

I heard there was a way to do cavities with lasers. Could that be applied to root canals?

WarPhalange said:
I heard there was a way to do cavities with lasers. Could that be applied to root canals?
That's it! It's the new painless laser root canal. No wonder there was no drilling and no noise and it was so fast.

Here is an article about it from 7 years ago, it apprently has improved since then with the entire procedure a laser one. :cool:

Also, It seems it is now covered by dental insurance, my out of pocket cost was $187.00.

http://www.biolase.com/media/Hansen-CNN.com-08-13-01.pdf [Broken]

Evo said:
That's it! It's the new painless laser root canal. No wonder there was no drilling and no noise and it was so fast.

Here is an article about it from 7 years ago, it apprently has improved since then with the entire procedure a laser one. :cool:

Also, It seems it is now covered by dental insurance, my out of pocket cost was $187.00.

http://www.biolase.com/media/Hansen-CNN.com-08-13-01.pdf [Broken]

Thanks for posting that. I see there's a place in Fullerton where they do this. I could go down there if I had to.

I'm just waiting for optometry clinics to merge with dentistry clinics. I could get my eyes AND teeth fixed at the same time!

I'll have to ask my dentist if she knows of anyone who does that around here. My last root canal cost me far more than what they quote as even the higher-end cost of having the laser thing done.

1. What is a root canal?

A root canal is a dental procedure that involves removing the infected or damaged pulp from inside a tooth and filling it with a special material to prevent future infections.

2. Why did my eye feel numb after a root canal?

During a root canal, the dentist may use local anesthesia to numb the area around the tooth being treated. Sometimes, the numbing sensation can spread to other areas, including the eye, but it should wear off within a few hours.

3. Can a root canal cause gnats or other bugs to appear in my mouth?

No, a root canal does not cause bugs to appear in your mouth. However, if the tooth being treated was infected, it is possible that bacteria or other microorganisms may be present, which could attract gnats or other bugs.

4. Will I have cravings after a root canal?

It is possible to experience cravings after a root canal, as it is a common side effect of certain pain medications or a change in routine due to the procedure. However, it is important to maintain a healthy diet to aid in the healing process.

5. How long does it take to recover from a root canal?

The recovery time for a root canal can vary depending on the individual and the complexity of the procedure. Generally, it takes a few days to a week for the discomfort and swelling to subside, but it can take a few weeks for the tooth to fully heal.