1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root locus question

1. May 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I've been trying for a week to understand root locus and how it works but what i got is a big confusion that's why i'm asking here for help. Why do we only look at open loop transfer function of the system when we are supposed to know the stability of the closed loop system? I don't even understand the use of this method at all, why don't we look at the poles of the closed loop system which are at 1 / K * Gd in the example below. I don't want you to solve me any problems but please give me the intuition behind this concept.
    Thank you so much!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2015 #2

Hesch

Gold Member

The short answer is: You don't.

Say you have a feed forward transfer function, A(s), in the loop, and a feed backword transfer function, B(s). Mason's rule then says, that the transfer function for the closed loop will be:

H(s) = A(s) / ( 1 + A(s) * B(s) ).

In your attached file, A(s) = k / ( s3 - 3s2 - 10s ), B(s) = 1.

Using Mason's rule you will find:

H(s) = k / ( s3 - 3s2 - 10s + k ).

The characteristic equation for the closed loop is: s3 - 3s2 - 10s + k = 0.

By solving this equation with different values of k, you can plot the root locus.

( It seems to be a highly unstable loop. )

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. May 7, 2015 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you're not thinking of the Nyquist Plot?

5. May 7, 2015 #4

LvW

Yes - Hesch is right. The denominator roots of the closed-loop transfer function are identical to the poles of this function.
    And the root locus, therefore, gives you the locus of the poles with the gain as parameter.
    Because of stability criteria, these poles (the roots of the denominator) must not move to the right half of the s-plane.
    Hence, you can see for which gain values the poles remain within the left half - indicating stability.

6. May 7, 2015 #5

Hesch

Gold Member

Two of the poles will never be in the left half if gain is positive.

One of the poles will never be in the left half if gain is negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted