1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root Mean Square Speed HELP

1. Jul 5, 2009 #1
    Root Mean Square Speed... HELP!!!!

A 11.0 cm-diameter, 24.0 cm-long cylinder contains 1.80×1022 atoms of argon at a temperature of 52.0 C. What is (Vx)rms, the rms value of the x-component of velocity? What is the rate at which atoms collide with one end of the cylinder? Determine the pressure in the cylinder using the results of kinetic theory. Determine the pressure in the cylinder using the ideal-gas law.

I have found Vrms, which is equal to 450 m/s. I do not know how to translate that into x component without knowing any of the other direction velocities.
    Any help please?? I am so lost!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3
    Re: Root Mean Square Speed... HELP!!!!

Thank you, I've managed to figure out everything except the rate at which the atoms collide with one end of the cylinder. I thought it might have something to do with the (Vx)rms, but the numbers don't make any sense to me. Any hints on this part of the question?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook