1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Root-mean-square velocity

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Q) Hydrogen molecules have a mass of 2u and oxygen molecules have a mass of 32u, where u is defined as an atomic mass unit (u = 1.660540 \times 10^{-27}\; {\rm kg}). Compare a gas of hydrogen molecules to a gas of oxygen molecules.

At what gas temperature T_rms would the root-mean-square (rms) speed of a hydrogen molecule be equal to that of an oxygen molecule in a gas at 300 K?
    State your answer numerically, in kelvins, to the nearest integer.

2. Relevant equations

v = sqrt(3kT/m) where k is Boltzmann's constant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the above equation gives that Temperature is 300/16 = 18.75K. I know that this is a crazy answer but please don't laugh:frown:

What's wrong with my solution?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'll promise not to laugh if you will tell me why 18.75 K is a "crazy answer"!
  4. Nov 7, 2007 #3

Thats almost close to absolute 0 and when i fed the answer in, it said "not quite" which I rake to be a euphemism for "this is nonsense!!!!"
  5. Apr 22, 2011 #4
    the question requests the "the nearest integer" your result is correct, but I think the anwser should be 19
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?